Need Help With Friend's Goldfish In A Small Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CrazyDiamond88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm about to house sit for a friend of mine. She has 2 fan tail goldfish in a tank that can't be bigger than 50litres.

I think from what I've read these guys will need about 120L?

I'm just wondering if anyone is getting rid of old tanks and are willing to sell them cheaply.
I live near the city in sydney.

I want to do this because my friend doesn't really want to get them a bigger tank but I can't bear the fact that they are suffering.

I wish I could help you out, and hope you're able to find a tank for them.
Perhaps a used tank? Not sure what sites ya'll have for that.

Have heard differing things on goldies..fancies needing 30g for the first then 15g for each additional, so more like 170l.
But I've also heard 20g for the first and then 10g fore ach additional, so 120l would be right. Either one is going to be much better than what they're currently in I think.

Thank you :)

Yeah used is what I'm trying to find.
Tanks are still in the region of >$100 which is a lot for me.
I'll just keep looking. Whatever they are in now, 120L will be so much better for them.

Do you have craigslist where you live? Or like buy/sell/trade Facebook pages? That's where I got my 55g and 29g for $100usd.And they came with stands and everything.

I tried Craigslist but couldn't find anything.
But I found a 150L tall tank for $85. That is cheap even though it's a lot of money for me.

Do you guys think I should do it?
My boyfriend thinks I'm a bit crazy.

The thing is my friend has not much idea about fish keeping and cleans the current tank by emptying it out every few weeks.
I would have to explain to her that she needs to just empty it partially ever week or so.
Im not sure if she will follow my advice.
She is old and can be very stuck in her ways.

Plus it means I have to do the fish in cycle now. Lots of work and stress. Though I can get media from my tank.

Only do it if your friend wants you to... you can't make someone do the right thing. Expecially when it comes to fish keeping!!!! I have to hear all the time, "well my fish aren't dead. They seem to be doing just fine. So my way must be OK!" Blah!!!!!!!
And don't do it if it will hurt you financially.

If you can afford it and want to do it..go for it. :)

Yeah it's such a hard decision :(

I technically can afford it but I don't earn much.
But those poor Goldies with their stunted spines :(

I want to tell her she's better off with a betta in that tank, but I doubt she'll listen to that too.
Sigh...!
Then if I don't buy it for my friend the question is... Do I buy it for myself and upgrade from my current 12 gall?
:p get heaps more adorable Pygmy cories

Perhaps you could have her look at these forums or something?
Ahaha true with that you could upgrade your own tank instead! I think it's really up to you.
I imagine if you got her a bigger tank then she'd add a ton more goldies and it'd still be a bad situation?

I imagine if you got her a bigger tank then she'd add a ton more goldies and it'd still be a bad situation?
This. That's why education is far more valuable than any rescue in the long term. There are far more goldfish in the world than there are suitable homes for goldfish. It's not possible to rescue all of them and give them the homes they deserve.

Anyway you can't buy someone a bigger tank if they said they don't want one. Perhaps she doesn't want to devote the space in her house to a bigger tank or can't afford the time to maintain it. It's her decision to make.

Yeah I guess I'll just leave it then.

It's just really hard while I'm here and they're in the lounge room so I'm always seeing them.

I think I will at least buy a heater for them, it may make them a bit more comfortable.

They're coldwater fish so don't really see the need unless it gets quite cold in that room during winter? Though it would probably help with keeping temperature stable

I'll admit to not being the biggest expert on goldfish but I've never heard of goldfish needing a heater - particularly not in Australia in the middle of summer? :S

Oh, never mind then! I just assumed they needed a heater my bad.
Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Back