Need help picking out a light

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Yeaulman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok so I am getting a new tank, but before I do, I am pricing out some lights. I found a DIY kit from Aquarium Hobbist Supply and was thinking of getting the 2 x 55 watt kit. I then went to Pet Supply Liquidator and was thinking of getting the 47" Aluminum Lighthouse with 2-65 watt power compact bulbs.

The one from Aquarium Hobbist does not come with bulbs and is $65 and the one from Pet Supply Liquidator is $100 and comes with bulbs.

My question is, is it too much wattage for a 48 gallon tank (aprox 48" L x 12" D x 18" H)?

It's not too much light for that size aquarium. My fascination with planted tanks would have me buying double that wattage! :rofl:

That would give you either 2.3 watts per gallon for the 2x55w one or 2.7 wpg for the 2x65

That would be fine for low-medium light plants, and for fiish that arent fond of really bright light, so ti should be fine unless you're into high-light-demanding plants.

You'll have about 2 Watts per gallon. Thats what I currently have with a 1x96W fixture on a 45 gallon tank.

The light I currently have on the tank I purchased as a DIY kit from Aquarium Hobbist Supply. I'd go with them. They have excellent customer service. Whenever I've had a question or problem (had a bad ballast for a 2x13 watt kit) they have been awesome at handling those issues.

I can't say enough good things about them

I aggree with Yeaulman, I'd probably try to get double the wattage :D , and currently, I'm working on adding another 96 watts to my tank.

RIght now I have a 20 gallon tank with 18 watts of light power. I have an amazon sword, some cabomba, some hydrosperma, and some reineckii ''lilacina''. All are doing good and growing well under this type of light system I have.

As for fish I have, 2 black moors and 2 calico fantails. I also have a spotted sailfin pleco.

Yeulman, are you sure that your cabomba isn't perhaps limnophila sessiflora? I was fooled by this once when I had low light. I then found out the limno can do well in low light. I had limnophila sessiflora and cabomba together at one point with 1.3WPG. The limno did well in terms of growth and colour, but the cabomba always looked pathetic in comparison, and growth was very stretched and slow. I've actually since culled all the cabmomba and have lots of limno sessi and water sprite.

Limnophila Sessiflora
kikumo.jpeg

Limnophila aquatica is at the bottom of the post.

In regards to getting a new light, great! No matter what you upgrade to, you won't regret it.

Bangin Posted on Jul 21 2004, 11:20 AM
  It's not too much light for that size aquarium. My fascination with planted tanks would have me buying double that wattage! 

I couldn't agree more! :devil: :hyper: Then again, just check my sig...

Colin

Attachments

• Limnophila_aquatica.jpg
    Limnophila_aquatica.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 89
OK. That's actually not cabomba at all, but Limnophila Sessiflora. I actually prefer it to Cabomba, mid you I haven't tried Cabomba since going to very high lighting.

Colin

And if anyone could post pictures of thier light setups that are home made, that would be great. I am still not sure which way to go. If I do go with the one that is made already, how hard would it be to upgrade to 4 light system instead of the 2. I also know this is in the wrong forum but I thought you all could help me too.

Most reactions

Back