Need Help Fast

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

RegularGuy

Reaction score
I have an Oscar. He just started to swim very fast all around the tank, hitting everything on the way. Walls, rocks, filter. He makes these fast rapid movements from side to side hitting walls. How He's quiet, but turned almost on his side and floating almost on top and breading hard. What's the problem? What should I do? Need Help Fast!!

Did you just do a water change or use any housecleaning products around the tank?

In this instance, to save time, what size tank, wahts in there, what are your params and how long has it been set up?

Tank and the set up is about 2 years old. levels are normal. WTF is wrong with my fish? First time in 2 years that this has happened! Anyone had the similar experience?

RegularGuy said:
Tank and the set up is about 2 years old. levels are normal. WTF is wrong with my fish? First time in 2 years that this has happened! Anyone had the similar experience?
Can you please answer my first post?

I did a water change after the fish started to go crazy. I don't use any household products near the tank! there is no way anything toxic might have gotten inside the tank.

Not sure then. If all your params are ok and the tapwater checks out, I'm not sure what to do.

If it were me I would do another water change asap then.

I don't know if that's the right thing to do, but doesn't sopund like he's doing good in the water he's in now anyways.

Hopefully someone else that's been thru this can reply soon.

did you do a water change after the blackout? i would test your tap water and make sure that it was pure what you put in there. also test your water now. some water was contaminated by the blackout. here in michigan, restaurants and bars are not allowed to serve anything that comes in contact with tap water. everything has to be filtered water.

for now, would add salt to the tank. about one rounded tablespoon per every five gallons of water.

is there anything else in the tank?

semper fi

semper fi said:
did you do a water change after the blackout? i would test your tap water and make sure that it was pure what you put in there. also test your water now. some water was contaminated by the blackout. here in michigan, restaurants and bars are not allowed to serve anything that comes in contact with tap water. everything has to be filtered water.

for now, would add salt to the tank. about one rounded tablespoon per every five gallons of water.

is there anything else in the tank?

semper fi
no, there is no other fish in the tank. I did not do a water change after the black out, however i did one after this happened. Plus they said that only if you lost water for any time while the blackout, you should not drink it and boil it first. I did not loose any water pressure for any period of time, the water was flowing constantly. Another thing, you know when sometimes in fight or when trying to intimidate another oscar they change colors? Same story here, every color just highlighted on him and it has stayed that way from yesteday. He has a white line across his forehead about half an inch thick, and white circles on his belly.

He will turn greyish color and loos most of any coloring he has when stressed. The white streak on his head and the white spots on his belly tell me that he is probably getting a fungus(sick). You should probably start him on a Melafix fish diseases treatment. You can buy at any pet store. I know that with Oscars, you have to get the white streak and spots taken care of quickly, because they spread fast.

denas said:
He will turn greyish color and loos most of any coloring he has when stressed. The white streak on his head and the white spots on his belly tell me that he is probably getting a fungus(sick). You should probably start him on a Melafix fish diseases treatment. You can buy at any pet store. I know that with Oscars, you have to get the white streak and spots taken care of quickly, because they spread fast.
I don't think you understood me rite. The spots a voluntary color changes that Oscar changes himself depending on the mood or whatever the reason...

here is the link to a pic with drawings that help to explain coloration..(it is not my fish, it's a pic I found on the net of a similar in color )scar)... http://community.webshots.com/scripts/edit...security=rkevFg

this is a pic of my fish a few months ago. Sorry for bad quality.. http://community.webshots.com/scripts/edit...security=SHtTOL

FIRST OFF CALM DOWN I WORK AT A PET STORE AND IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME PEOPLE COME IN AND ASK THE SAME QUESTION JUST LISTEN TO SMB

ok im a complete newbie by thrive on the internet its my main point

so give me a problem i love to try and fix it or sort it out with the right infomation

now from what you said i took the best i could and well i found some info

FROM WHAT 2 OTHERS SAID ABOUT WATER IN THE USA WITH THE BLACKOUT AND OTHER WATER PROBLEMS I HAVE BEEN TALKING ABUT

look for my thread on chloramine

this is what i come up with any way i really hope this can help i hope they dont have it but if they do well least you know whats wrong ok here goesssss

Hole in the Head is a disease of tropical fish which starts with smalls sore on the head above the eyes. These sore grow and eventually produce through the outer layer of skin.
Hole in the Head is most often seen in large Cichlids or other large fish. Oscars are large Cichlids and are often infected with Hole in the Head. Click here for more information about Oscars. Jurupari Earth Eaters, are a species of Cichlid, that also often show signs of Hole in the Head.

2. We think Hole in the Head is the result of poor water quality over a long period of time. It's best to prevent Hole in the Head by doing the proper maintenance schedule. Click here for more information about a Maintenance Schedule.

3. Hole in the Head often occurs in aquariums with under gravel filters,

this is a really BAD PROBLEM
this is started beacuse of water being to dirty or chemical imbalance
in the water nitrite

i found the best thing you could get on this

THIS IS A RADIO STATION TALKING ABOUT HOLE IN THE HEAD ON OSCARS

pls plsplsplsplspslpsl listen plsssssss

HOLE IN THE HEAD WITH OSCARS

go to around 7 mins and listen from there

Most reactions

Back