Need help deciding....

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TCJeeper

Reaction score
So I am returning to the hobby and currently in the research stage. Have not purchased anything. I plan to run a 75 gallon freshwater with a Tidal 110 HOB filter and it will be placed in a breakfast window thing in the kitchen so will have viewing access from two sides.
My question is, what type of fish do you recommend? I am wanting to do some larger fish and have looked at keeping either Mbuna Cichlids, Rainbowfish with tank mates, or trying an active community tank with some unusual fish such as Peacock Gudgeon as a center piece.
I have kept the standard pet store finds like tetras, barbs, molly's, etc. But want to get on to something with more pizzazz if you will.
Once I get a test kit purchased I can give solid water info but for now I am just exploring the options.

TC

The first thing you need to know is the hardness of your water. That info should be somewhere on your water provider's website - you need a number and the unit of measurement (there are several they could use) rather than some vague words.
Of the fish you name, Mbunas need very hard water, and most rainbowfish need hard water, while peacock gudgeons are soft water fish, for example. It is easier to keep fish which have your tap water hardness within their range, but if you really want the 'wrong' fish for your water, it is possible to alter it though that does require dedication. But whether you stay with tap water or change it in some way, you do need fish which all need the same hardness.

Most reactions

trending

Back