Need Help Choosing Tetras To Put In My Community Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dant1875

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in need of some advice please - I have a 90l (20g) community tank & will be stoking it tomorrow. I'm definitely having 3 Apistogramma Cacatuides, 5 Sterbai Cory, 2 Red Honey Gourami & 10 Harlequin Rasbora. Firstly, if I add any more fish am I overstocking too soon? Secondly, if not, which tetras would be best to add to this set-up & how many? I did originally want Black Widows, but I've heard they are notorious fin-nippers so they are out :( . I like the look of the Black Neons, Glowlights or Phantoms. Are any of these suitable for a new tank set-up & also compatible with the fish listed above?
Thanks in advance :good:

personally i would say thats over stocking but if you do decide and its entirely your choice i would probaly go for some diamond tetras, but they look best in a school but as the tanks a bit small neons might be a good choice as there small but they tend to be a bit harder to look after but im sure someone with more experience will help..

According to the inch per gallon rule you would be overstocked, however i frequently have broken this rule and tend to use my own judgement.
How old is the tank and how well filtered is it?

The cories dont add too much to your bio load, so should be fine. Although personally I would go for pygmys in a tank of this size.
The honeys and harlequins should also be fine.

My favourite tetra happens to be the pristella tetra, interesting, hardy and very peacful. might be worth a look :D

black neons would most likely work or you could also try a group of cherry barbs

that list you have is overstocked as it is but you could get away with it if you have good filtration

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back