Need An Idea

kribensis12

I know where you live
Joined
Nov 13, 2006
Messages
8,679
Reaction score
593
Points
113
Location
Peoria, Illinois
Hey everybody! Well, I need an idea. I would like to get a new fish species to add to my collection, to breed adn raise fry, and eventually sell( not for profit), just to even out fish food costs ect. I have a 30g with 4 Lab's in it. I have one batch of fry( was gone for 2 weeks, a guy took them off my hands while I was gone) and I'm picking them up tommorow. The female who originally "birthed" the fry, died a week later( while I was gone). The other Lab's don't seem to inclined in breeding. They also don't like to swim out in the open. I am moving the only batch of fry to my other 30g for growing out on sat. Well, I would like to put the new fish, in the 30g where the labs are( I plan on selling them). But, I have no idea as to what to keep. Theese are my stat's ect.:

30g tank
Ammonia: 0
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 10ish( don't have any more nitrate testing liquid, but it cant be high, since I do weekly gravel vac's)
Ph: 8.4
Kh and Gh: I couldnt tell you honestly. Everytime I test, I dont get results.

I would prefer African Cichlid's, that are somewhat easy to breed( not like convict easy though). I am heading out for a fish auction on the 18th( assumming my mom okay's it), apparently the auction is known for having all different kinds of fish. So, I will most likely be able to find it there, if not, our fish club leader probably breeds it! I am currently attempting to breed krib's in a 20g flat hex ( turns out both are males, as suspected, so Im going to sell a male and try to get a female at the auction). In my 30 g fry tank I have several Bristlenose fry and their parent's. So, it's not over stocked. Any idea's?
 
How about one of the more popular peackocks, like Aulonocara jacobfreibergi.

If peacocks aren't your fancy you could try some mbuna, like White top herras or Cynotilapia afra.
 
Isn't my tank to small for Peacock's? I know Im pushing it with Lab's. I kind of want to get out of Mouthbrooder's. They're cool, but they just arent my thing. Seperating the mom, hoping she doesnt starve herself to death, seperating the fry from her afterwards, then keeping her in isolation so she will regain her strength.
 
It is a pretty fish, but it's still a mouthbrooder. I'd really like to stray away from mouthbrooder's. Any other idea's?
 
I'm not 100% on this, but I think most of the cichlids in Malawi are mouthbrooders. Not sure on Victoria or Tanganyika though as I've never kept any.

Anyone else have any ideas?
 
I know that Brichardi from Lake tanganyika are egg layers, but the guy from my fish club breeds them and apparently they are hard to get a pair of. Unless I found a breeding pair at the auction. Kribensis( which I have) are egg layers, and they are from the Niger River(sp?) .
 
I know that Brichardi from Lake tanganyika are egg layers, but the guy from my fish club breeds them and apparently they are hard to get a pair of. Unless I found a breeding pair at the auction. Kribensis( which I have) are egg layers, and they are from the Niger River(sp?) .

Correct, they came from the Niger River in Nigeria.
 
I know that Brichardi from Lake tanganyika are egg layers, but the guy from my fish club breeds them and apparently they are hard to get a pair of. Unless I found a breeding pair at the auction. Kribensis( which I have) are egg layers, and they are from the Niger River(sp?) .

Correct, they came from the Niger River in Nigeria.


Do you have any idea's of a good fish for my tank?
 
Not possible. My ph is waayyy to high for them to live in comfortably, let alone breed. But, I did see a nice breeding pair for 22 bucks at a lfs out of town!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top