Need Advice On Harware

Nexorcist

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
California, US
Hi everyone.
As I submerge myself deeper into this wonderful hobby I starting to realize that some changes need to be made to my tank.
I recently upgraded from 10 to 29 gallon tank and my fish numbers are increasing as time passes. I have 10 adult fish, 14 fry and any day now one of my females will give birth again and will round up my numbers. Given increasing number of fish I start to think that my current hardware isn't up to par.
I currently have 2 HOB filters (Tetra Whisper Power Filter 30 and Aqueon 10) running simultaneously in the tank along with generic 100W heater (also have a spare 50W just in case).

After reading for last few days in number of forums and product reviews I can’t decide.
Some of the obvious choices are EHEIM and Fluval, but which one and what size.
I read that many people recommend getting a twice as big of a filter than manufacturers suggest (for 29 gal get filter that’s recommended for 50-60 gal so on ...).
Also I can’t seem to find much info on reliabilities of heaters, their manufacturers and appropriate Wattage.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
 
Hob filters are generally better at mechanical filtration, due to the high water flow to media ratio. Canisters are generally better at bio filtration, lower water flow with more media.

You have the hob filters covered, adding a canister with the media oriented towards bio filtration would be the way to go. This is the way I set up larger free standing tanks, and have a similar combination of box & sponge filters for the tanks in my fishroom.

If you set up one of the Eheim Classics as a bio filter you won't have to mess with any cleaning for a few months to several months. a 2213 should be plenty for that use.

A spare heater is a great plan, this is one of those things that seems to go out at the worst time, usually holiday weekends when no place is open. Marineland heaters are one of the better ones, the stealths are almost bulletproof. Jagers are good heaters as well, though I think they are not as good as the old Ebo Jagers. You are looking for about 5 watts per gallon, so a 150 watt should be the max you would need, 100w will work in a warmer area.
 
Thank you very much for reply, I'll start shopping for a Eheim Classics 2213.


This is the way I set up larger free standing tanks, and have a similar combination of box & sponge filters for the tanks in my fishroom.

I'm not quiet sure what you mean. I read a lot about box & sponge filters, but still dont fully understand.

Also i read that some people put 2 heater at the same time just in case. Whats your opinion about it. I currently live in very warm climate, so technically if my heater would go out it will take a day or two for temp to drop even a few degrees.

Thank you again for detail advice.
 
Marinland Stealth Heater -> $28.99
Ehiem Classic 2213 Filter -> $79.99
Peace Of Mind -> PRICELESS


My shopping is done.
Waiting for them to arrive.
Thanks again. :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top