Need A Quick Answer To This Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SamUK

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Addingham, West Yorks (Near Leeds/Bradford)
my friends jus rung in a bit of a tizzy because his heaters cracked when he moved house.

the bottom of the glass has broken off and he sed the piece was about 1".

will the heater still work jus for tonight or will it explode if he plugs it in?

i dont kno if the glass is to keep it water proof or jus to protect the fish?

i dont have a spare heater and all the shops are shut so hes a bit buggered!

Don't do it. Once the water reaches the heated parts inside the heater, it'll explode and possibly damage the aquarium itself assuming it doesn't fry the fish in the process and cause an electrical fire too.

If your friend is in the UK and his tank is indoors I wouldn't have thought the water will get cold enough to kill the fish if he does leave them overnight without the heater. It's not exactly freezing at the moment. Better than risk an explosion.

Wrap tank in loads of towels. Should be fine for the night. Not a lot else you can do I'm afraid.

:good:

Is the bottle trick the hot water in a squash bottle left to float in your tank one?

It most likely won't work anyway as the ground fault break should trip but even if it does it creates a shock hazard if you put your hands in the tank with it plugged in.

i knew it wouldnt be safe but desperate times call for desperate measures lol.

hes now bringing them all round here and there goin in my community tank for the day.

the tanks in a conservatory so it wil get pretty cold unfortunately.

You should make sure it works first. If you put it into use it in a cold building and it doesn't work, you will have major problems and could lose all your fish. Not worth the risk.

Definitely toss it. I was cleaning my tank along with the algae infested heater. After I dipped the heater into a bleach/water solution, I noticed that the bottom part literally fell off and the inners were exposed. I threw the heater away after I saw that. Like everyone else said, don't risk the fish's health and your own health.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back