Need A Grand/ Main / Show-off Fish For A 20 Gallon

spazzinout

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Jun 2, 2007
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Northern Virginia, USA
Ok so im finally setting up my 20 gallon tank.
So far , Im preety sure im going to use

1 - 3 Swordtails
3 otocats
5 zebra danio

I want one pretty colorfull fish for the tank but I dont know what would work.
I was thinking mayb a dwarf gouami, but those seem so common.
Are there anyother easy to keep alive less common collorfull fish i can use?

thanks
 
you could try a pair of german rams.they are smaller peaceful cichlid and they are a very colorful fish.when you get the swordtails make sure you go with a 1 male to 2 females ratio.
 
otos and blue rams need a mature tank, so instead of them, you can try a pair of bolivian rams, which are hardier.
 
okay so mayb i could...
start with the zebra danios, to filter the tank with.
add the one sword tail i already have
then add the other sword tails.
Then once the tank has been up for a good time, ill add the otos and german ram.

But will the tank be over populated then?

How many german rams should i get?

thanks,
brad
 
don't get german blue rams. period.

if you're just starting fish keeping, GBRs are way too hard. i've already lost 4 as time passes I get one hoping the tank will be fine now.
my readings have been perfect for months now, and I still can't keep GBRs. it's not only about the tank being cycled, but they need a lower pH and softer water compared to the rest of the fish you're planning on keeping. they're also rather pricy fish for their size...save your money and look for something hardier.
my recommendation? Kribensis. it's also a relatively-peaceful cichlid, much hardier (from experience having had both). however it may be aggressive towards certain types of fish. my female kribensis wouldn't stand having a female betta in the tank and killed 3 of them :crazy:
 
Well I curently have a 5 gallon tank, so I know alittle about fish keeping. But yeah, i like hardier fish, haha. So a kribensis, what about an apisto? ive researched those alittle. And if your saying they might be tempermental sometimes, then how should i introduce it into the tank?
If most of these fish are fin nippers, i have no problem with getting short tail danios insted of long tail.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top