Need A Couple More Species For My 30g

ridewake210

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 31, 2006
Messages
349
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Urbana, IL
I have got a 30 gallon set up, have had it going for awhile now doing a fishless cycle.
This is going to be another planted tank.

Girlfriend and i are trying to decide on fish.
I would like to put atleast 5 or 6 neons in it.

What else would go well with the neons?

Looking for a schooling fish possibly.

Would like to put in a couple cory just because they are silly as heck.




Thanks


-Sean
 
How about a few different species of tetras? Rummy noses are nice and I've found them to be quite hardy.

Corydoras prefer to be in shoals of at least 4 or five. Agreed they are quite mad but very peaceful and amusing to watch.

Other than that it depends whether you want livebearers, which will quickly breed and fill up the tankspace, or perhaps the dwarf cichlids, rams etc

Enjoy choosing :good:
 
Can i get a few detailed names for the cichlids i can keep?
I love them, so im all ears now.

Im not too familiar with different types of cichlids.
Ive only kept yellow labs, albino red finned zebras and red zebras before.
 
Well, from past experiences, im limited to what cichlids i can have if i want a well planted tank.


So what i would really like is a tropical tank with a handful of different species of fish.
This is for my grandmother's house so im trying to set this tank up as brilliant as possible for her.
 
Well if you want a planted tank then you want peaceful community ciclids.

Mbuna and the such like (if I'm remembering correctly) will rip up anything you want to plant.

So small peaceful cichlids (purely a list)
Bolivian Ram <-- See the pic of mine in my avatar
German Blue Ram, Gold Ram, Neon Blue Ram <-- all same species just different colour variations. Require pristine water (<20ppm Nitrates at all times and around 28C)
Cockatoo Apisto - 1 m to 3f
Agassiz's Apisto - 1 m to 3f
Dwarf Flag Cichlid
Keyhole Cichlid - May grow a bit big for a 30gal but I'd like someone to clarify that.
 
All should 'in theory' be fine with tetras yes.

Though obviously get a second opinion on keyholes in a 100l aquarium. I think it may be a bit of a squeeze in there for them...but they're sort of borderline.
 
30g is fine for keyholes. If the tank is high (around 18"/45cm) then angelfish are a possibility, though you'd have to rethink the neons. Kribensis are also an option.

I'd go for something like
6 neons (or more)
2 honey gourami (1 male max)
2 bolivian ram
6 corys (albino always seem to be the most active)
and maybe another tetra shoal like glowlight or something

or

6 neons
2 keyholes
2-4 swordtails/platy
6 corys

the more neons you get, the more impressive the shoal will look

Or an agressive cichlid only set-up?
Can't really have aggressive cichlids with neons =)
 
They said
Ive only kept yellow labs, albino red finned zebras and red zebras before.

And I said 'Cichlid ONLY' as part of my question.
I wasn't sure if they were getting confused as to whether they could have the ones they'd had before with neons. Hence checking. :rolleyes:

And a SINGLE Krib would be ok probably. But more than one would cause aggression issues.
 
10 neons
6 cory or a pair of bn
and 1m 2f apistogramma Agassizii
and sometink else higher up like gouramis small rainbows or livebeares
 

Most reactions

Back
Top