Nature Aquarium Photos

Ive seen some tanks youve done in pfk and theyre stunning. Ive tried growing glosso but dont think Im planting it right. Whats the best way. Ive just tried it in a Superfish Aquacube 30. I think the nutrints are right. Could it be the light? The plants were growing and spreading but not rooting and then the leaves started to disintigrate. Any advise?

These little tanks sure look nice but its not really a fish tank is it.

About time you did a decent sized tank George, i'm sure with your contacts you could get someone to "donate" a 300/400 litre tank and all the gizmo's to run it. It would sure be intersting to see some larger fish with plants rather than the usual table top aquarium with a handfull of tiddlers swimming about.

:drool: Fantastic as always george and like I tend to say on the blogs...jealous jealous jealous :p

These little tanks sure look nice but its not really a fish tank is it.

About time you did a decent sized tank George, i'm sure with your contacts you could get someone to "donate" a 300/400 litre tank and all the gizmo's to run it. It would sure be intersting to see some larger fish with plants rather than the usual table top aquarium with a handfull of tiddlers swimming about.
:lol: :rofl: :good:

It would be interesting to see a much larger planted tank with some different fish. I've noticed alot of planted tanks have small shoaling fish, I do understand why, what with having planted tanks myself predominately inhabited by bottom dwellers I do think it would be alot better/easier to have small mid / top dwellers as you can plant more heavily that way. If anyone can do it you can george, how about a nice planted goldfish tank? :p you don't often see them, or as CFC suggested a 300/400L tank with large fish in it.

..........but its not really a fish tank is it.

I agree. This is just a load of algae infested rubbish. :lol:

Who is this Farmer geezer, anyway?

The majority of people in this hobby are in it for the fish. Planted aquascapes are a tad different, in that the emphasis is more on a balance of nature. The fish are an enhancement to the tank, rather than the centre piece, hence large predators tend not to look right.

Huge planted tanks to accomodate larger fish, can involve some serious maintenance, so they are not too popular. Ironically, though, some of the largest tanks around are planted.

Takashi Amano`s altums in a 9000l tank:

img0018my6.jpg

Discus in a 2590l tank:

foto01a_108.jpg

The thing to note is that even in the largest tanks, the fish are still in balance with the look, and not too dominant. I don`t suppose Discus and altums are considered to be large fish. Amano has also had tanks with Myxocyprinus asiaticus.

Take a look at Tom Barr`s 6500l tank on the planted tank forum:

http://www.fishforums.net/content-page/155...th-Tank/page/0/

I have seen a planted tank on Aquaticplantcentral with Arrowana in, but the fish look totally out of place, IMO, because thay are far too dominant a fish.

Dave.

I like small fish. I also prefer to see lots of small fish in big tanks, in shoals of one or two species.

For me big fish generally look too small for their environment in regular aquaria.

I guess it's down to taste.

One day I will set up a big tank for discus, wild scalare or altums. Likely 8x3x3'. I have concrete floors.

BTW, I have a bigger tank running, a 4 footer (216 litres).

These are the biggest fish I've owned so far, pearl gouramis. They're MASSIVE for me! I personally wouldn't put anything bigger in a 4 footer, purely on aesthetics. And aesthetics, as you will have noticed, are very important to me.

f_gouramiscrom_a514af1.jpg

Brilliant scapes as always George.
Where did you obtain the blyxa? I couldn't find it on AE :blush:

Beautiful tank as always george , thinking about starting a planted tank my self , are you thinking of doing anymore natural habitat tanks like you did with the choc gouramis that was truely inspirational for a lot of members on this forum and i think i can speak for everyone when i say would love to see some more from you :good:

Regards Tropicman

are you thinking of doing anymore natural habitat tanks like you did with the choc gouramis ...

Yes, certainly. Watch this space... ;)

And thanks for the kind words.

Biotope set ups are a another favourite of mine. Here's a recent pic my Sumatran biotope with the chocolate gouramuis you mention.

f_CGfinalcropm_c4f8b9a.jpg

George Amazing as always.
And another fan of Pearl Gouramis in heavily Panted tanks.
I love how they look amongst plants, he ones i have are adjusting to so may plants in the tanks, and are a little washed out. but they should color up again within a few days. Theres nothing like watching a huge Pearl making a bubble nest and in full display mode

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back