Native Australian Fish Setup

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AussieFishLover

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was interested in setting up a native Australian tank, either community or species (which would be for desert gobies). Does anyone have recommendations for good fish/plant species that could co-exist? I currently have a roughly 20g long tank not in use; would this be adequate? Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Edit: I should also add that my local water has a hardness of around 15-20mg/l, if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

if your water has a general hardness of 15-20mg/l (ppm) then it is too soft for desert gobies. They come from hard water.

there aren't many if any plants in their wild habitats. The most common thing is algae.

Ah, okay. Thanks for letting me know. Are there any native fish that would be happy in my water? Or are there any other general species you could recommend?

what are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

what is the pH?

Iriatherina werneri and Rhadinocentrus ornatus naturally occur in soft water. But without knowing tank dimensions I won't offer more suggestions.

The following link has information about rainbowfish, which might interest you. If your water is very soft, you can add rift lake water conditioner to increase the GH.
http://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back