nasty little fish

sharkbait

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
3 foot tank, not overstocked. My single rainbow fish has been the model of fishy behaviour, until the addition of a single leopard danio last week. Rainbow takes an immediate dislike to Danio and chases him around the tank, despite being about an inch smaller- for hours! After putting up with this I sentenced him to two hours solitary confinement in a plastic bag at which point danio started getting territorial and chasing the tetras around. I give up.... :(
What is it about Mr danio that so upsets rainbow? They don't even look the same. Though he has a bit of silver on him I suppose..
Should I take one back or leave them to it?
would getting another danio or two help? or will they bully the other fish?

Stuart

They are probably just fighting over territory in the tank. I have giant and zebra danios, and consider both semi-agressive, but I keep them in groups of 6-12 so the squabbles are among themselves. I also have Melanotaenia affinis (australian rainbowfish) in a different tank and they are very redneck! I have had one death by another rainbow, so it could just be that they are pretty aggressive fish also (and large...3.5 inches length). I am adding more rainbows to the tank, in hopes that it will curb this behavior. If I were you, I'd try moving the decor and re-introducing the fish. That should cause everyone to find new territories.

I like the idea of moving the decor to confuse their little fishy brains. I will get another leopard danio tomorrow, if it doesn't work out I can always take them back.

I sentenced him to two hours solitary confinement in a plastic bag

i do that, only i put them in a breeders net :D it's partly to give the other fish time to gather sort themselves out, and partly as a punishment. my mum laughs at me and says the fish won't learn cos she reckons the don't have morals :*) i never mentioned it on the forum before cos i thought i was the only one to ever do that :lol:

oh my god i thought that noone ever did this... my bf thinks im daft or going mental when i start shouting at bill thats hes grounded and out comes the breeding net... iv got 2 kissin g's both male by the looks of it (they were lip locking the other day untill i dunked in a peice of cucumber... they still lip locked.. but at least not with each other) ones realy aggresive... after takin it out on the other one (ted) he then set of chargin around the tank like a mad bull in a fine china shop! wich in turn set george off (betta) he was blowing up at anyone any everyone for hrs afterwards!

thinking of takin one of the kissin g's back... dont want to but after all cant have it doin this can i?

Dawn xx

Most reactions

Back