FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

Navarre

Marine Moderator
Reaction score
Under 20 gallons: The It's 'Cheaper' Myth

If you are like many other aquarists, chances are you started off with a FW tank and then started to meander off into the saltwater sections of forums like ours. You were probably dazzled by the amazing colors and arrays of corals, marine fish and invertebrates. So now you want a marine tank. For many, the allure of a 100 gallon reef tank seems daunting. Then, you see that small tank at your 'lfs'. Looks a lot more manageable, right? It would fit easily into that corner of the family room. Well..maybe...or maybe not. What are some considerations to keep in mind before deciding to join the 'under 20 group'?

Size Matters

There is an old saying out there that " the solution to pollution is dilution". As strange as it sounds, it definitely applies to marine tanks. Tanks under the heading of 'nano' just don't have the cushion to absorb insults compared to larger mini-reefs. The larger volume can dilute out contaminants or errors in overfeeding better than the smaller tank. We don't have that much of a margin of error with a nano reef. So, electing to start up a small tank means a committment to maintenance, attention to detail and a little time and effort.

The 'It's Cheaper' Myth

Now that we mentioned size, don't let that fool you into thinking that a nano reef is going to be much cheaper than a mini reef. Perhaps, the total pounds/dollars spent maybe less, but, pound for pound (or should I say dollar per gallon), it may be more expensive. Marine tanks are not cheap. There are definitely ways to cut corners and save a few pounds/dollars and there are other times when cutting corners will come back to haunt you later. Some people have been able to get a tank up and running for under $400. Be prepared to run into some startup and maintenance costs. You could easily find your nano tank reaching the cost of startup of a 75 gallon tank.

I'll Change the Water Next Week (yawn)

The next big consideration is how much time do you have to commit to maintaining a nano tank? Once these small systems are up and running, they must be monitored and attended to as needed. Although once established, the nano tank will reach a period of equilibrium, there is always about five minutes worth of work to do to it daily. This could include topping off, checking parameters or feeding corals. Other things to consider include care for the tank while on vacation or who will care for it if you have a busy work or professional schedule. Putting off scheduled weekly water changes could have a deleterious effect on your fish and corals.

I Want to Add that Anemone to My Tan

Know your limitations before deciding to go with a nano reef. You will not be able to keep a large amount of fish in your tank nor a great many of the invertebrate species. You must do a lot of reading and research and planning before diving in. You'll need to become familiar with livestock compatibility issues. Many tools of the trade are not as easily available on nano tanks as they are on mini reefs and often one may have to use a little resourcefulness. Eg, there is a term called DIY, or do-it-yourself, used in reference to modifications that you may have to come up with to maintain your tank the way you want it. We're here to help.

I Think I Can

If you think a nano reef is right for you, then, by all means don't let anyone talk you out of it. Take your time. Read your books. Ask lots of questions. And, above all, always resist the urge to 'add that one more fish'. Remember, in the mini reef and nano reef worlds, "beauty comes slowly, disaster happens quickly". Good luck and welcome aboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Back