Nano Tank Maintenance

steelhealr

Hug a mod Nano Reef Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Nano Tank Maintenance

Once you have your nano tank up and running, it behooves you to keep it clean, stable and running smoothly. If you remain conscientious and stock your tank safely and wisely, your nano tank can actually run 'on autopilot'. Strategies to avoid headaches include, to name a few:
  • stock appropriately; stay with non-aggressive fish/pairs; nano-sized fish only; hardy fish
  • research your corals: know their biology, placement, lighting requirements, circulation needs and feeding requirements
  • aquascape wisely; leave room for maintenance, flow thru, caves, ledges
  • stay consistent with water changes
  • monitor your parameters on a consistent basis that WORKS FOR YOU AND YOUR TANK
  • don't overfeed
One of my favorite phrases in the nano world is that we are really not reefkeepers per se, but, water managers/keepers. Our system is so small that minor errors, lack of attention or laziness can result in rapid death or demise. Keep your water quality the best that is possible.

There are many ways to maintain your tank. The suggestions below are one of numerous ways to do so. Therefore, I will leave this pin open so that others may make recommendations on methods that work well for them.

Daily

Observe
  1. First off, enjoy your tank. Step back and look how beautiful it is.
  2. Inspect for water clarity and adequate surface skimming
  3. check on fish, presence and health
  4. cleanup crew is OK, no flipped over astreas
  5. corals appear open and healthy, no positional shifts
  6. equipment is functioning, temp within range
  7. examine for invasion: hair algae, valonia (bubble algae), cyanobacteria, pests (aiptasia)
To Do
  1. check specific gravity, if needed; can be done bi-weekly or weekly as you gain experience
  2. feed livestock and corals (not necessarily daily,usually 2-3 times a week depending on their needs)
  3. topoff with pure water as needed for your tank
Weekly

Observe
  1. glass walls for coralline or diatom deposition
  2. continue to check overall health/appearance of your tank
To Do
  1. check water parameters if this meets your tank's needs
  2. 10% weekly water change, prepare or purchase your seawater in advance (see below)
  3. scrape diatoms/coralline algae
  4. change/washout your sponges (personally, I don't recommend sponges, bioballs or ceramics)
  5. clean screens/sieves
  6. wipe off saltkreep; return it to the water if possible
Monthly

Observe
  1. check pumps, connections
  2. check inventory on food, media
To Do
  1. pump maintenance, clean impeller
  2. consider lightly 'gravel vac'ing' your substrate
  3. if you have a NC with a refugium, gravel vac the LR rubble and rinse the chaeto in aquarium water
Every 3-4 Months

To Do
  1. Most types of filter media will need to be replaced.
  2. Some corals may need fragging/pruning
After 8 Months

To Do

Many lighting fixtures will begin to lose their spectrum. Consider replacing your bulbs. To help reduce bleaching out your corals, consider reducing the photoperiod for 1-2 weeks.

Mixing Seawater, One Method

There are many ways that a particular task in marine keeping can be done. That is one reason why this thread will be left open so that people can see the 'How I Do It's' out there and can choose which method works best for them. Mixing sea water is not a difficult task but, you need to prepare in advance for your weekly water change. Here is one method that I use:

Required Equipment and Items
  • bucket; the red Home Depot bucket is fine
  • good brand of sea salt
  • source of pure water, RO or distilled
  • inexpensive powerhead
  • inexpensive heater
  • measuring cup
  • refractometer (preferable to a hydrometer)
  • (optional) pump tubing
  • (optional) plastic storage container
nano4.jpg

Method
  1. find a clean area that will not be harmed by salt water and is free of contaminants and chemical vapors
  2. 1-2 days in advance, make/purchase your required amount of pure water
  3. place the heater and pump in the bucket of pure water and add the amount of salt to reach the specific gravity you desire; in general and only as a ballpark figure, I've found that one cupful per gallon brings you in at about 1.025-1.026
  4. aerate/mix for 24-48 hours; during this time check your s.g. gravity and either add salt or add pure water to bring your mix to the correct s.g. You'll eventually get the hang of getting it dead on at the time of mixing
  5. Prior to water changing, stop all pumps and disconnect electricity. Some people will scrape diatoms prior to changing the water to reduce the load in the tank. Siphon out the desired volume of water from the tank.
  6. Assuming your water is equivalent temp and s.g. slowly return the water to the tank. If you don't like dumping your water in and do not want to risk upsetting your aquascape, you can add water pump hose to the end of the powerhead in the bucket and pump the water back into the tank with a gentler stream.
If you are doing water changes with natural seawater, all you have to do is heat it and make sure your s.g's are equivalent.

seastock.jpg

Technically it is, its just within one of the consolidating pins :)

Bloody hell,I think I will stick with tropical for a bit lol

Im in the process of setting up my first nano a TMC aquahabitat 30l. This was really helpful. Thanks

Most reactions

Back