Mystery Snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BiggTexx

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, I woke up this morning to a surprise...

An empty Mystery Snail shell (roughly 3/4") and 100+ baby snails about the size of a pencil tip (possibly more)!  My large Mystery Snail is fat and happy (roughly 1.5"-2") and the Betta is having a nice time building another bubble nest. I will try and get some pics of the little snails, but their size is proving to be quite difficult to capture either from their lack of color (like a transparent or slightly milky white) or just due to size (camera focus).

Now the fun part is that I never saw the eggs... Don't mystery snails normally lay the eggs just above the water line? I haven't seen or been able to find a clutch of eggs yet.

I just found a cluster of eggs yesterday. I thought they wouldnt actually make baby snails. that they were basically sterile and just left egg clusters occasionally? LOL weeeeelllllllll............ clearly not.. so will i have babies? i dont know what i would do with 100+ freakin snails. 
noexpression.gif
lol

What color are the egg sacks, and what type of snail(s)?

On mine, I finally found the egg sacks (only one sack has produced so far) and the other looks ready to explode any minute now. All the snails have migrated to my internal filter (that should be fun to clean out) and I still can't manage any pictures :(

its a HUGE mystery snail. lol. 
the egg cluster is like a peachy color i guess? light skin tone? each egg was the size of like a ball bearing or so...
when i first saw it, i thought i could see little black dots.. but now empty. i had netted it and set it in a cup meaning to throw it away, then i saw this post. its still in the cup. will probably not keep it. lol. but so interesting!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back