Mystery Snails & Ghost Shrimp

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fish For Life

Reaction score
I have checked my water and I am showing as follows. Are these readings ideal for shrimp and snails? I have read many articles on the subject but personally have never owed either of these in the past so trying to get the water correct or close enough anyways as to what is required. Thank You

pH 7.2 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrites 0 ppm
Nitrates 10 ppm
kH 5 gH 7
I also run the fish tank heat at 75

trying to get the water correct or close enough anyways as to what is required

Always buy animals suited to your water rather than alter the water to suit a particular animal :)

I have pH 7.5, GH 5, KH3 and nitrates under 10. Temperature 25 deg C/77 deg F. I have nerite snails and cherry shrimps and both do well in my water parameters.

The best source I have found for information on snails and shrimps is www.planetinverts.com/
(Mystery snails are also called apple snails, and that is what they are listed under in that link)
For mystery snails look at http://applesnail.net/

Last edited:
Always buy animals suited to your water rather than alter the water to suit a particular animal :)

I have pH 7.5, GH 5, KH3 and nitrates under 10. Temperature 25 deg C/77 deg F. I have nerite snails and cherry shrimps and both do well in my water parameters.

The best source I have found for information on snails and shrimps is www.planetinverts.com/
(Mystery snails are also called apple snails, and that is what they are listed under in that link)
For mystery snails look at http://applesnail.net/

Yeah I realize that it is never good to mess with changing any kind of water unless one has too. I have read other articles where people had to use a gH of 7 at least just for snails to stay healthy and have a decent healthy shell. With my gH & kH from my tap water always being 3 on the test I have always made it a practice to raise my fish tanks to at least 5 kH with Alkaline Buffer because if I don't the pH always seems to lose a cycle and or crash, When I do it this way the pH always stays stable for me. As with anything there is so much stuff you read online as we all know so having or getting a second opinion on what works for others is always nice to know and more information is always welcomed. Thanks for the links my friend.

Last edited:
I have 2 nerites that I bought in 2011 and they are showing some shell erosion. But after 6 years in my water parameters that is not surprising. It doesn't seem to affect them. My other nerites were bought more recently, and their shells are beginning to show slight erosion.

If you have soft water and Mystery snails you will need to feed them calcium rich food.

I also got a bunch of Mystery snail shells ( The snails died at petshop ) and put them in the tank it helps slow the shell erosion down.
6bI5nFU.jpg

If you have soft water and Mystery snails you will need to feed them calcium rich food.

I also got a bunch of Mystery snail shells ( The snails died at petshop ) and put them in the tank it helps slow the shell erosion down.
6bI5nFU.jpg

That is why I raised the gH to 7 instead of just leaving it to three from the tap water was unsure. You think 7 is okay are should I use some more Equilibrium and maybe raise it a little higher as well? And then also use some cuttlebone in there to for more calcium too.

Last edited:
Hi
You think 7 is okay are should I use some more Equilibrium and maybe raise it a little higher as well?
Sorry I have no idea as I never use those sorts of chemicals in my tank nor do I recommend their use.

Well according to the paper work that comes with the Kh & gH test kit it states with what the kH & gH should be in range. And there is noway I can just use my tap water only, I know because I have loss Gourami's and Bolivian Rams in the past by just using my tap water alone of just 3.

About the only thing I know that can live in a kh & gH from my tap of only 3 is discus and plants and neon's, Everything else seems to always die. This is why I am confused and why I am trying to do it right. Seachem Alkaline Buffer is designed to raise the pH and keep it stable and Seachem Equilibrium is designed to raise the gH which would be the calcium is my understanding.

As of right now I do know a kH of 5 and a gH of 7 doesn't seem to bother the Zebra Danios I have 6 of them and they seem happy in the tank presently. If it is recommended that I do a water change and just use my tap water alone of just 3 I will but when the manufacturer list information as to what I should do this is where I always get confused. Obviously they designed it so I guess these additives have been tested.

kH & gH Range freshwater Aquarium Life

0°-3° (0-50 ppm) discus, arowanas, elephantnose, neons, cardinals, live plants

3°-6° (50-100 ppm) Most tropical fish including angelfish, cichlids, tetras, botia, live plants

6°-11° (100-200 ppm) Most tropical fish including swordtails, guppies, mollies, goldfish

8 -12 ( 140-200 ppm) Marine fish and invertebrates

11°-22° (200-400 ppm) Rift lake cichlids, goldfish, brackish water fish

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back