Mysterious White Thing Under Fish Mouth

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Seanyboyrulz

Reaction score
Hi, i have two Praecox and they were recently infected with white spot which i am still in the middle of treating. However, all the spots seems to have gone except for a strange looking white protruding thing right under both fish's mouths.
Hoping for diagnosis without pictures as my camera is out of order.
Thanks

I have bred boesmani rainbows on numerous occasions and in the early days my stock suffered from this trait (rainbows) lift the pH somewhat 7.5 and add a little salt (cooking salt not table salt). I used 1 tablespoon in an 18x12x12 at weekly water changing. This should clear everything up.
Regards
BigC

I have bred boesmani rainbows on numerous occasions and in the early days my stock suffered from this trait (rainbows) lift the pH somewhat 7.5 and add a little salt (cooking salt not table salt). I used 1 tablespoon in an 18x12x12 at weekly water changing. This should clear everything up.
Regards
BigC

Ok cool ill give that a a try but it'll have to wait for a while cause im still treating for white spot. I dun think its cotton disease because the little nodule ain't fluffy at all. It just looks like a white spot. A single one right under the mouth and both in the same position for both fish. Thats why i was wondering if it could be some kind of worm. Are there any worms out there with those kind of characteristic?

Thanx

No this seems to be a trait in rainbows, it will only manifest itself around the mouth area, treat as I have mentioned and that should cure the problem. The reason being I had this problem and on speaking to various people in mine and other local aquarist societies they assured me that the treatment method I described will work for all rainbows that display this trait.
Regards
BigC

Would aquarium salt work for this treatment then? I might have to add it when I eventually put then in the main tank- could you possibly state the the dosage rate a bit clearer... im not too good in the maths department :blush:

No this seems to be a trait in rainbows, it will only manifest itself around the mouth area,
Indeed. I spoke to my lfs about this recently and it is indeed very common. My Red Rainbows lived with it for years (they were more like a small fleshy growth) - never went away (and to be honest never tried the salt method) but it never affected them or the other fish.

Aquarium salt is fine (gimmick) but Cooking salt is cheaper.
What size of tank you got.
BigC

Good to see Bloo on here again. Hows it going girl...Have the killies prospered.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back