my zebra danios are going mental help

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

F

fish&chips

hi i started watching my zebra danios about 4-5am
and 3 of them are chasing 1 like made IM sure its a female from what i have read
the others are male

ive never seen them swim so fast jumping out water up down all over tank are they bullying it

im worried they wont stop but it doesnt seem that botherd as it can ALLWAYS STAY AHEAD pls help the other day she was acting weird

floating at top bottom tank ....now the other 3 are going mad after her
im watching them now there all chasing her rnd madly trying to knock into her and stuff

!!!!could she be breeding wot do these fish do lay egs how they get fertalised
i think they may be trying to get sum of her but do fishes like ya know i dont wanna say it but like they get together have good time

like cats dogs animals how they have fry

if this is her them breeding there ZEBRA DANIOS like 1 inch long there eggs will be tiny how will i know find them how many helpppppppp

Sure sounds like breeding behaviour to me :nod: The eggs like you said will be tiny and to make matters worse Danios eat their own eggs before they sink to the bottom so it is unlikely you will find any eggs. The eggs are fertilised by the male releasing his sperm at the same time the female releases her eggs, there is no internal fertilisation.
If you wish to breed your danios properly you will need a seperate tank with low water and a layer of marbles as a substrate.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

i new it i thought they where hungry and chasing rnd for food and trying stop the other

like fighting for it i did see them eat stuf buttt make this even more worse my food would look the same its tiny like lil rnd proteen food

noo i cant beleave it
there still chasing tho i have 2 females and 3 males they chase 1 now watching they chase the other 1 after keep swapping but all 3 on 1 at 1nc

:( they all stopped chasing it lasted about 1 hour most 30-45 mins

so have i got no chance these will have any eggs left not 1 ?

gutted these r the best danios i personaly seen tehre perfect no no no i hate me

i also have no live plants buying sum tues would this help ?
and i have 4ft tank im trying to find out if i can buy somthing to patition a ft sum kind plastic wall ?
so i can have 1ft for them to breed

a seperate tank with low water and a layer of marbles as a substrate

how big wot kind marbles the tank type large see thru ? i dont no to much new to all this

and low water would i need it heated as the was can get pretty warm in my home i have noticed on my large tank 24 -without heater if water low in small tank would i even get a heater ??and any plants to try hide eggs when dropped or how can i stop them eating them if i can see the egs fast enough

so if i bought 1 half foot .or can i buy smaller i only jusr bought this 1 but would be very hapy to be able to have a good reason to fob the girlfriend off
#
thanks cfc

A tank of around 10 gallons will be fine and you will not need a heater for the tank providing the room is warm, the tank will require a small sponge filter powered by a airpump.
The marbles are just the normal size childrens marbles,put them in a single layer across the bottom of the tank and when the fish start dropping eggs they will hopefully make it to the bottom and slip between the marbles where the parents cant get them (the reason for the low water, they get to the bottom quicker).
Once you have the tank set up the next time you see them spawning catch 1 female and 2 males and place them into the breeding tank, leave them until they have finished and then return them back to the main tank.
If you have been successfull the fry will hatch within 2 days, the fry grow quite quickly and will need to be fed with liquifry and fine powdered (like dust) fish flakes.

thanks crf much appreciated

lol i havcent even finished buying everryyy thing for this tank now i have a excuse to buy another

you a start i can show gf wot you said to make her let me hehe

would it be good idea to add maybe 1 plant that mite help the eggs drop or hide to

with zebra danios how ofter can they have fry like they MUST dropped last night or 1 female did with 3 males chasing

so next time SOON AS I SEE THEM CHASING grab 1 female 2 males asap add them to the other tank till finished and then put them back

how oftern how long does this last while fertalising the eggs

Most reactions

Back