April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

i love those fish!!!
it makes me want one!!!
biggrin.png

a lot of people only get like brightly colored fish and stuff because apparently they look better
huh.png
 i think wild types look just as good

Greetings Folks,

Was just browsing around to see who else are into wild Betta and stumbled on this thread.

Very impressed with the collection of different species you have there.

Some I have not even got a chance to see them first hand.

Currently I have 4 species of wild too Eg imbellis, mahachai, rutilans, and mandor. Lost my pair of macs sometime back.

So far, I have F1 of various size of imbellis and mahachai.

Being located in the tropics, would be easier to keep these wilds without needing a heater. Only issue is to keep the water cooler!

Really enjoyed the photos, hope will get to see more and I will upload some of mine when I am not typing this from a blackberry 

fantastic selection of bettas.
i wish i could house a community selection like yours.
keep the updates coming i look forward to more pictures.

Hi WB. I think the person who said these fish are ugly must have lost his white stick. They are gorgeous.

Very cool fish! Sorry about the betta macs. I have always loved wild bettas, but could never get my hands on them. I turned to cories, kribs, and killies instead.

They are all gorgeous!
My favourite is the Betta Macrostoma, shame you lost them!

solsed said:
Wow! They're beautiful, Wildbetta! Are the wild strains less agressive than the splendens?

Meeresstille said:
They have such quiet beauty, these wild bettas, 
smile2.gif
   I've never seen one in the stores! I too am curious, how does their temperament compare to the betta splendens?

As far as temperament goes, most wild bettas are nowhere near as aggressive as the domestic betta splendens.  The wild betta species that are really similar to the domestic bettas (the splendens complex which contains the wild betta splendens) tend to be more aggressive.  Most of the other wild bettas can do good in group tanks and will at times do ok in community setups.  One does have to take care as to what other fish they add with the bettas though as some do not like fast moving fish, some are big enough to easily eat small fish, and others can get aggressive with some other fish species.  It is best to keep them as species tanks just because most of them do tend to be more easily picked on by other fish and stress a lot more easily.  

Now I have not been keeping this thread updated like I planned to.  :/  So here is a long overdue update.  :)  Since the last time I posted I gained a proven pair of betta ocellata that actually were siblings of the female I had before.  They came from a wild betta breeder friend of mine and the male was actually holding fry when I received him.  He proceeded to release the biggest amount of fry I have seen from one of these species when I was removing him from the shipping bag.  Ended up with around 120-150 fry (stopped counting at around 100 LOL).  I lost my male though to a jumping accident that he did not recover from.  I also got a pair of betta picta from the same friend and that male was also holding eggs when I received him.  This male did swallow but has still be a great breeder for me since.  I had gotten my first set of wild bettas from overseas.  A pair of betta pallifina and then within 2 days the female somehow ended up outside the tank. :grr:  So I have had my single male for a while and he is getting much more relaxed.  I picked up a group of wild caught betta edithae juvies off of aquabid as well.  These guys are another small mouthbrooder that work nicely with my betta picta.  I also got a single betta simorum from an auction on aquabid.  It was sold as male but turned out to be female.  The seller traded some more juvies for some of my juvie betta picta once they were big enough.  At this point, I believe I might have 3 males and 2 female juvies along with the adult female.  They are one of the biggest of the bubblenesting species and the only bubblenesting species of wild betta I own.  Can't wait until the male juvies are big enough to spawn so that I can see how I like these guys as far as spawning goes.  I no longer have the betta midas or the betta simplex.  I gave them each to different friends that also work with wild bettas and the unimaculata juvies went to a new home since at the time I did not have a tank big enough to house them. I do still have my breeding pairs of betta albimarginata and will be adding betta channoides to my collection sometime this year.  I think that updates my stocking for everyone.  I did not realize so much had changed since I last posted.  Photos will be in posts following.  Enjoy!
Adult female betta ocellata

Juvi male ocellata

Juvi female ocellatas

Juvi male ocellata with mom

Juvie male ocellatas showing off

Juvie male ocellatas showing off

Adult female simorum

Juvie male simorum

Female betta albimarginta

Betta albimarginata (adult female, adult male, and juvie male)

Male betta albimarginatas sparring

male betta albimarginatas sparring

betta picta pair

betta picta pair - male holding

Juvie betta picta

Juvie betta picta

Male betta pallifina

Male betta pallifina (no flash)

Male betta pallifina

Great thread WB, loving it 
wink.png

Pics are fab as well, love some of these and some i've not seen before 
smile.png

Love that last pic BTW of the male betta pallifina

So beautiful and awesome! The one fish looks to be smiling lol

Even without the bright colors bettas are still beautiful. Where do get wild bettas?

I just love your tanks WB, your Bettas! Your pictures make me want to have one so bad, that if I ever see any of the Wild Bettas in the stores, I am going to set up a third tank!!! :)
And thank you for answering my question regarding their temperament! 

Much needed update to my thread.  Sorry it has taken so long to get it together.  I no longer have the B. Simorum and have gained B. Falx, B. Channoides, B. Patoti, and B. Pallifina(lost my original male and got some juvies) bringing my total of species up to 7.

I will be posting pics up in the next few days of the new fish.  :)  

Ok so as previously noticed....I am HORRIBLE about keeping threads updated.  LOL  However I have tons of photos so....I guess I update at this point in time.  Since my photos are the size they are and I don't like to use links from external sites (in case I move the pics at some point in time), the update will be stretched out a bit to accommodate everything I want to show.  Hehehe so bare with me.  
wink.png

One of the species I got right at the last update (with no pics
sad.png
 ) was betta falx.  Here are a couple of pics of that species to start off with.

Attachments

• DSC01140_zps26cf6435.jpg
    DSC01140_zps26cf6435.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 311
  • DSC01068_zpsb359f8b3.jpg
    DSC01068_zpsb359f8b3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 317
  • DSC01072_zps3aea2e7a.jpg
    DSC01072_zps3aea2e7a.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 288
In this post, I have a pic of the pallifina pair, a pic of the channoides pair, and a pic of one of the patoti.

Now that pics are updates up to the last update that I left unfinished back last year 
blush.png
 , I will be working on the latest update with pics of all the species I have at the moment and what changed between the update above and now.   Until then, here is another pic of one of my pallifina males (without flash to show the true blue coloration).  This particular male is my favorite and only has one pectoral fin.  

Attachments

• 4dadf393-8202-4add-a000-5ac64a1dcec5_zpsnssbkyjf.jpg
    4dadf393-8202-4add-a000-5ac64a1dcec5_zpsnssbkyjf.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 287
  • 05701c11-e34b-44cd-b2ab-2ead36de1de4_zpsuguru5zs.jpg
    05701c11-e34b-44cd-b2ab-2ead36de1de4_zpsuguru5zs.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 309
  • fwbettas1395846839_zpse2777821.jpg
    fwbettas1395846839_zpse2777821.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 298
  • 27fc111c-b9ce-4165-87c9-4e70d967a874_zpsc10af5ce.jpg
    27fc111c-b9ce-4165-87c9-4e70d967a874_zpsc10af5ce.jpg