My Wal-Mart is TERRIBLE!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Adrinal said:
Ive seen bad cases of stuff even at the best of shops. Deluding your self that our hobbie even encroaches on kindness to animals is... not right. Fish are not dogs or cats by any strech of the imagination.
To make matters worse... like any busness doing it right would drive the cost of a minow to 20 bucks... doubt they would make much on that price...
BTW im not sticking up for WM... just putting things in perspective.

Another key... I often go to stores such as walmart, petsmart, ect..
I NEVER look at their tanks... that would be like ... hmmm.. say.. driving past your local evangical church and purposfully reading every bumper sticker... You know you wont be happy afterwords so why do it?
That wasn't funny? :huh: Are you not feeling well? :-(

I'd love to get a job at an LFS but no LFSwill hire HS students.

oh and St. thats like the third battle charge today settle down little man just simmer

Opcn

my wal-mart is the same way. they have dead fish everyone they rarely clean their tanks and they mix fish that shouldnt be mixed. ive seen petitions against walmart but i know ill never buy anything fish related from them

I've gotten some fish and a few supplies from walmart and i have to say that mine are fine. However, the real issue is the workers that they have there. I went late at night one night and some oddball helped me and dropped 2 fish. Before this he filled the fish bag with water from the litte sinks that they have there. I took the bag, then he dropped my first fish. Picked it up and put it in the bag. Then he put in like 3 more smaller ones and in a minute they were all dead. The water was like 50 degrees! Finally I was like just write the sku#'s on the bag and ill do it. And so i did it, saved a few more fish from them...but needless to say i wanted to punch the guy in the face.

Another place that I recently visited was Meijer. They're fish section was much cleaner then walmarts and the tanks were in good shape. The fish weren't all that bad either. My kuhli loach and chinese algae eater are doing very well from there. If you have to go to a store like that I would be very careful in what you buy, but remember you can save some fish when you get them from there. Thats what i always think.

I have posted before regarding my worries with the general treatment and storage of bettas by both lfs and owners. But today i saw something that topped it all off. I was in a lfs(not my usual one, just browsing) when i noticed a tank of tetra's. These were fine and very happy, but above them floating in sealed plastic bags not much bigger than a tea bag were betta's, they didn't even have enough water to submerge themselves in, couldn't move never mind swim. I think the treatment of fish goes a lot deeper than just the big chains like wall-mart and petco etc.

c1tyfc said:
. I think the treatment of fish goes a lot deeper than just the big chains like wall-mart and petco etc.
:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

hmm need a nod thingy without the smile

I agree with what c1tyfc said as well. I think sometimes people are too quick to jump to conclusions. For some of us hobbiest's, the big chain stores are all we have.

There is one "mom & pop" store within a reasonable driving distance for me (within an hour). I was in there one day talking to the guy about wanting to get an elephant nose. He was too quick to tell me that I didn't want one! Instead of just telling me what type of care they need and the like, he tells me NO!? What's that all about.

Tiff :no:

bstier said:
but remember you can save some fish when you get them from there. Thats what i always think.
:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Supply and demand.

This thought is so wrong... not trying to attack you directly.

This thinking though is what kills fish. You buying with your purchacing power is saying, "yes this is OK!" Thats all it communicates.
Furthermore, you just sent a signal to BRING IN MORE FISH at the register when the sku went through.

PLZ if you folks don't like this stuff going on DONT BUY ANY PET SUPPLYS, DONT BUY PETS, and continue to look down (but not too hard) on the people who do.
That is the most powerful thing you can do to set things right.

The saving a fish theory is juvinile at best and you should know that it is your buck driving the market.

Adrinal said:
Supply and demand.

This thought is so wrong... not trying to attack you directly.

This thinking though is what kills fish. You buying with your purchacing power is saying, "yes this is OK!" Thats all it communicates.
Like you said, not attacking you just debating my view.

Regardless if I purchase a fish there or not, walmart is still going to say "Yes its ok!" It is consumer america. It is what the business is selling. There are still going to be 10's of thousands of people all across the nation buying oscars to put in their 2 gallon tank from walmart. They do this because they dont know any better, and it will probably happen no matter what. The majority and the company's best interest will win out. People that know, like us, we can only do our part. As long as we our still protesting and what not I feel that "saving" a few fish here and there is ok by me. And when i say saving a fish, I dont mean buying half dead fish, i mean buying the ones that actually have a chance to turn out the way they were supposed to be.

As I said before I think it is more of an issue with the employees working there and I think the strike agianst walmart should be to shape up the employees. Live animals need special care and the employees need to know that. Just hiring a few nonlazy people that care about fish would solve the whole problem. Better employee screening could easily fix this. Walmart is going to sell fish, itd be better to try and change the way they sell them. It's too far into the game to shut it down completely.

Peace

pffft Wal-Mart :sly: , I've been dealing with them for quite sometime now. If you stand in the fish department and make a spectacle about the conditions (especially the bettas in my case)..you can usually get results. They're only temporary of course, you have to keep on top of them.

As for Petco...

Here ya go guys :D

http://www.petcocruelty.com/

There's a whistle blower link too ;)

went to walmart 1 week ago 20 o's in a 5 gallon now 2 left 70% 10-20 10% 20-40 2% fish bowl 5% good home 1% 2 gallon 2% in a overcrowed commuintiy tank 1 idiot put his in a comuintiy tank ate all his fish and killed the o just like bettas put it in a vase dies in a week once i saw a woman pick up a betta very roughly lets put a betta in a 0.5 gallon oh no why is he dead lets put a tiger barb in a fish bowl lets put angels in a tank with a hardness of 30 and a ph of 9 yeah discus would be okay in a 5 gallon long as long as you feed them once a week and the temp is 68 knives will eat feeder-fish hey ma lets put a pleco in with the betta in the vase mom why did the pleco die hey this shark could be with my neons and you guys wont belive the number of people that think fish wont outgrow the size of a tank theyre in and after i told my mom that she still didnt belive me "if you put a angel in a 2 gallon it wont get to 7 inches" man now that i look closeley the fish industry is terrible of us 100 people that still go on we and 10,000 others should stand up for this and ban toghter and clean up our countries we should all get jobs a lfs's and straghtien out the stores and owners millions of fish die every year cause of carelessness and bad advicefish should be covered in the animal cruelty laws fish are living things they breathe,move,have brains,eat,and feel pain places like walmart should be sued for this so am i right are you with me??? this has got to stop with the cruelness soon there wont be any healthy fish left just ones that we care for the only thing i thing that we can do is (well 3)1.get gobs at lfs's2.sue walmart or 3.sneak in take pics record what people are doing and wanting to do with theyre fish and record bad advice if the fish world was going to come out like this then we should gather info ban toghter and clean up this place ARE YOU WITH ME???

Most reactions

Back