My Unknown Fish Has An Unknown Problem!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

killudead

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So my friend had this tank that she needed to breakdown and had only 1 fish in it. She new it was a community fish but not sure what kind. So I get it home and set it up in a separate tank for a week to monitor. No issues at all.
Decide to move the little guy in the big tank and I see an odd shape develop on his abdomen.
Now first, i am not sure what kind of fish this is. I believe maybe a tiger barb or a tetra of some kind.
So i think he might be a little pig and eat until he is stuffed or looking like these pics.
Its a 75g community tank. At this time, no other fish are showing signs of issues.
temp is 78
This just started about 1 day ago, so I am just monitoring it for now. Holding back on the feedings, but the other fish are essentialy suffering cause of this possible food hog. lol
what do you think.

unknown1.jpg

unknown2.jpg

Its not a tiger barb and doesn't have enough lines to be a striped barb, its also unlike any tetra I have ever seen. I think its a live bearer but that is just my gut instinct

looks like a female cherry barb to me. looks a bit constipated, get some boiled, de-shelled bits of pea in the tank, and hope she eats some.

Definitely a female cherry barb.

You have a separate tank for her? It would be a good idea to do as has been suggested and feed some de-shelled pea, you'll probably find most if not all of your fish will eat it too. If you feel after a day that things aren't getting better you'd be better off putting the cherry barb back into a separate tank for a few days, at least then you can carry on feeding your other fish normally while you treat the barb.

Looking at the pictures, & going by the markings Ithink it may possibly be a nannostomus marginatus,or Nannostomus Trifasciatus. The pointed snout & lateral stripes are typical of these fish, but they are generally very streamline in appearance - unlike yours :unsure: Try looking - up pencilfish.
It is a lovely fish by the way, love the matt black forehead.

The swelling is a bit worrying - hope it is constipation & not dropsey :look: Isolation may be the best solution for now till the swelling subsides though :good:

You have a separate tank for her? It would be a good idea to do as has been suggested and feed some de-shelled pea, you'll probably find most if not all of your fish will eat it too. If you feel after a day that things aren't getting better you'd be better off putting the cherry barb back into a separate tank for a few days, at least then you can carry on feeding your other fish normally while you treat the barb.

+1 Definitely a female cherry barb Puntius titteya NOT a pencil fish, Bazza!

I took a look today and so far I think that it is just overeating. The stomach was a little smaller, but you could see that still enlarged.
I will throw some peas in and keep and eye it. Thank you for your help and I will keep this posted updated. I knew I could count on you all! :)
Thank you

+1 Definitely a female cherry barb Puntius titteya NOT a pencil fish, Bazza!

My bad :look: Guess I should have gone to specsavers. Honestly it was the pointed snout & seemingly elongated body (regardless of the belly) which threw me, guess we all make mistakes from time to time.

ok update,
So i finally caught the little fish and put it in a breeding net that hangs off the side of my tank. She is still really fat, like before but maybe not that bad.
Could she be pregnant, are they livebearers?
I have been feeding her sparingly, rotating no food, pea and then bloodworm. Just a tiny one though.
thoughts?

No, they are not livebearers.

If I were you, I would completely pass on the bloodworm until she is back to normal. Her diet should consist mainly of peas for the moment, as they will help clear her digestive system of everything.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back