My Tnk Has Come :)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

robbhp

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
after a long a waited build , the tank poped through the door yesterday , its also a lot bigger than i thought :) , its a 5 foot *2*2 comming in at 150 gal . can't wait to get the guy up and running, but i will have to wait for a bit yet. any way it is a fish only system, so we will just have to see how it goes. here are some pics though

peekaboo.jpg

frontoffishtank.jpg

topglass.jpg

toplidgass.jpg

Nice looking tank you have there!
Good luck with the setup, keep us informed on its progress.

(btw 5x2x2=125 Imperial gallons)

yea sorry going of US gal as it just get out of control with every one going on with different units . any way got some new pic of it with the plumming to my sump, the only reason for me having the sump, was to allow me to get every thing out of the tank down there, ie skimer, heater's,and some all important microalgy. in the other side of the unit wil be one fulval FX 5 , and one Ehime 2229 wet and dry, i have heard very good things about the Ehime range, but i also like the under dog, hence the fluval, which looks to be one of the best fulvals ever :) . and the flow rate is out of this word :D

frontdoors.jpg

backoftankhole.jpg

holesinhoodlid.jpg

holesinbackofbase.jpg

frontoverflow.jpg

overflowpipe-1.jpg

backofoverflow.jpg

insidecabs.jpg

outpipe.jpg

I know is not much but i have just done my UGJ, hope the two 1200 maxijets will have the power to run them. if not then sump return can have a go :D, or just buy a extra 1200. i tryed to make the jet holes smaller the closer they are to the powerhead. just to try to even out the flow.

frontUGJ.jpg

DSC02023.jpg

closeupUGJ.jpg

rightUGJ.jpg

Wow, thats a unique tank flow system. Are you planning on painting the back to hide the sump hardware? Also, what substrate are you gonna use?

lookin good so far :good:

i will be using black paint, for the back of the tank, the sump will be under the tank on the left hand side. it will house the skimmer and heaters, and a bit of microalgy, and a return pump. i think i will be raising the return pump about half way up the sump on a glass shelf. the main reason for this if somthing goes wrong with the overflow from the tank then it will not allow my tank to overflow, well that is the idea anyway LOL . i am useing curshed coral as my substrate, i have gone for 4 different grades of crushed coral. first is sand like , then fine , medium , and last the small lumpy stuff, they are a bout 5 mm long type bits. i am hopping the mix of coral will make the tank look a bit more real. i have also got my self and aqua medic twin 150w MH units which i am also hoping will make the tank look the part :) .

many thanks ROB :)

Nice Closed Loop

What you going to power it with?

:good:

Oooh, dual halides, gonna look great :good:

To prevent overflowing the sump, you need to do a few things. On the overflow side, you should have the overflow set only a couple cm below the water level to break siphon. On the return side two measures should be taken... Add a swing type check valve to prevent back flow, and also drill two small holes in the return hose right at the water level. Or if you're going for just a flat bulkhead style return, keep it at the same level of the overflow (just below water level) to break siphon just in case. Dont rely on check valves alone because power only goes out when snails have crawled in the checkvalves ;). The laws of probablity dont apply, trust me :unsure:

Also what is the plan behind the pinched ends on the CLS Outlets

Its amazing how much a box of glass & some UPVC pipe gets us going :blush: :wub: :blush: :lol:

well at the moment it has two maix jet 1200 :( but i think that that will be going up to 4 8) . in order to help out with a bit more flow. hope i dont need more than that as the cost are going wild LOL

ski may thanks on the help for the overflow, when it come time for me to get going on that this is the first place i will come , you dont know what you lads have let yourselfs in for LOL.

one more note on the UGJ , the pinched ends are just to spray the water out of the pipes. the same idea as a hose pipe when you crimp the end, you seem to get more force out of it but with less water used type thing.the UGJ are only there to keep the poop, from sitting down, ie hoping the FX 5 or ehime 2229 will get hold of it LOL .

Yeah, 4 maxijets should do the trick on a tank that size. Keep us posted with pics :D

tbh 4 Maxi's aint going give you any sort of flow out of all those outlets mate

On my last CLS I used 2 x 6500 Ocean Runners on a 4 Outlet CLS & that was just sufficient

& that was only on an 80g (UK) Tank

just had a look at the 6500 not a bad price, :good: athough it is far more than i wanted to spend :blush: but if the MJ dont work then it may have to be them. i have a bit of the same feeling that the maijets will not have the power,but people keep telling me they will do the job. i am going to run a wet test in about a week or so, that will have every thing but the sump tested. but i can't wait to see what, if anything these UGJ are goning to do LOL . but only time will tell. then after that is done it will be time to make a weir for the overflow :-( this is were you guys will come in LOL , told you you would grow to hate me LOL :). any way i was too lazy to do anything in the tank tonight as i had to paint the roof in the lounge :( . will get back on it with some more pics soon :)

many thanks lads, ROB

Most reactions

trending

Back