My Tank Water Is Pretty Cloudy...?

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 8, 2009
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Canada
Hey guys. I've noticed that my two ten gallon tanks have slowly gotten very cloudy.
I treated for a parasite, and the med makes the water cloudy, but I'm finished with treatment and put carbon in, and the water is still very cloudy.
103_3103.jpg (1.3 MB)
103_3107.jpg (1.3 MB)
103_3108.jpg (1.3 MB)
(Sorry about the blurriness.... I suck at holding the camera still when the flash is off.... So, it's slightly LESS cloudy than the pics show. Thanks!)

Here are the stats:
ammonia: 0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm
nitrate: 15ppm
ph: 7.5
temp: 78F
water changes: 25% weekly -- bi-weekly

Also, I used an API Master water test kit if anyone's wondering. None of that test strip crap.
Fish seem to be a tad bit lethargic.

Could it just be that they're overcrowded? Because I know both of my tanks are super overcrowded, I'm just waiting to get the 55 gallon so I can move them down there.

BTW, the tank in the pic has been set up for at least 2 years, and the tank that I didn't take a pic of has been set up for a month or so. (It's fully cycled though.)

Thanks in advance for any help! :good:
 
It is very possible that you are experiencing a bacteria bloom, which is not 'that' uncommon in fully cycled tanks.

-FHM
 
EDIT: Double posted previous post, silly computer.

-FHM
 
Even in a 2 year old tank, with no ammonia and/or nitrites?
I've had bacteria blooms before, and there was always ammonia w/ it.... :huh:
 
What did you use to treat the parasites? Are those water stats recent? Some medications can impact your bacteria colony and can trigger a bacteria bloom, I am 100% this is what has happened. Make sure you are monitoring your ammonia as a bacteria bloom can cause it to rise to dangerous levels. If you can get some extra water movement in the tank that would be a good thing too, as bacteria use up oxygen.
 
I treated with Jungle Parasite Clear.
It doesn't harm benficial bacteria at all. I've been using it for a couple years every time my fish get parasites.
<a href="http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...de=25-1661722-2" target="_blank">http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...de=25-1661722-2</a>
I've never had a bacterial bloom with this med.... There may have been a SMALL one in my recently cycled 10 gallon, because the nitrite was 0.05-0.10 yesterday. (It's gone now, obviously.) But not in the older 10 gallon.
I tested my water today, about 2-3 hours ago.
I also tested yesterday.
Hmmm.... :/

Also, this has nothing to do with the cloudy tanks, but I was running my hands down the glass to take off some algae build-up on my older 10 gallon, and I noticed that the glass feels bumpy! I know it's silly, but I'm scared my tank's going to cave in or something! :S
 
The Heterotrophic Bacteria, which is what we see when we experience a bacterial bloom, will start to multiply and feed on organics in the water. When they feed, they produce ammonia. So, you may not see any ammonia right now, but what you are seeing is the bacteria bloom, then that will be followed by an ammonia spike.

This might not be what is happening in your tank, but is is something to think about!

Also, are those live plants in your tank, and do you clean the substrate (not much there to clean, lol) very well and not over-feed?

As dying plant matter, fish waste and over-feeding are three main things that trigger a bacteria bloom?

Plus, before you added the meds, did you make sure that the meds would not effect your biological filtration at all? Because some meds do kill of the beneficial bacteria.

-FHM
 
Thank you. Like I said before, I'm positive the meds don't affect beneficial bacteria. This is the first time my tank became cloudy after using these meds.
I vacuum almost every time I do a partial water change, and the fish finish the food I give them within 30 seconds. Yeah, I took the gravel out, but didn't get all of it. :blush:
I hope there will be no bacterial bloom! :angry:
I got a couple of those by accident quite a while ago, and they aren't fun! :angry:
 
Well then, what I would do is just monitor the water parameters for the couple of days or until the water clears, just to be on the safe side. :good:

-FHM
 
lol :S
Wow, I'm getting everyone very confused here, eh? :lol:
(Even myself... :unsure: )
Anyhow, the pencil crayon turned out to not be an emergency. It was just the pencil crayon juices that got into my tank. Fish are fine! :good:
And BTW, the cloudiness is gone now, (in both tanks, even though I'm still treating one...) so it probably just took the meds a little while to absorb the rest of the medication! (Silly me! :rolleyes: )
Sorry to cause all the fuss! :(
I'm a worry wart, as my parents call me. :rolleyes:
Thanks for all the help! :good:
103_3115.jpg (1.3 MB)
103_3112.jpg (1.2 MB)
103_3114.jpg (1.4 MB)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top