My Shrimp Are Hiding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

daizeUK

Fish Botherer
Reaction score
I bought two Amano shrimp two weeks ago for my 120L tank.  I've always wanted shrimp but never had them before so thought I'd start with two just to make sure they don't keel over and die!

Since then I've hardly seen them.  I would believe they were dead except that I see them both get flushed out of their hiding places during water changes, so I am sure they are both alive! :p  They're just very inactive.

Their tankmates are a shoal of harlequin rasbora and threadfin rainbowfish and a trio of small male platies.  All the fish are about the same size as the Amano shrimp so I thought they might get along okay.

The tank has dense planting, plenty of moss which the shrimp spent most of their time hiding in (until I trimmed it this week!) and lots of nooks and crannies and caves.  It's easy for the shrimp to hide, even my highly-visible orange platies can completely disappear in this tank for hours at a time!

I worry because I don't see the shrimp coming out to eat.  I assume they're finding food but I can't tell.  They just seem to hide in one place.

Are the shrimp hiding because they're scared of the fish?
If so would they feel more confident if I added more Amano shrimp, or would that just result in more hiding shrimp?

They will feel more confident in larger numbers so you may see them out more if you up the numbers, I'd assume they are hiding because of the fish, I've just had to relocate my cherry shrimp from my betta tank as they were out all the time before he was added but now they are constantly hiding as he attacked them when they swam across the tank.

I have had Threadfin Rainbowfish with my red Cherry Shrimps, never had much problems.

Took about a week before shrimps really came out and in open, i started with 6, then bought another 6 after a few weeks, now lost count how many i have now! lol

I'd maybe try getting a few more amanos and bump numbers up and see if they behave any differently.

Actually, when shrimp are hungry and need food, they are active and out because they are looking to eat. When they are happy and well fed they are much less active. I have a 50 gal. tank with about 50 amanos in it. The tank is for getting algae off of things.  I know I need to add prepared food when I see the shrimp out and active.

Okay thanks, that's reassuring!  I will try adding more shrimp! :)

Thanks for all the advice guys!  I added four more shrimp and after a week of settling in they are all out and exploring the tank, don't seem too bothered by the fish after all.  Just like TTA said, they are looking hungry so I am feeding them and they are greedily accepting algae wafers.  It seems like they just needed greater numbers and all is well now! :)

Excellent, am happy this was a simple remedy 
smile.png

Hope you're enjoying watching these guys doing their thing, cant imagine my tanks without shrimps anymore! 
laugh.png

photo.gif
pics?

Yep, it was so funny when I gave them their first algae wafer.  One shrimp found it and scurried off with it and wouldn't share it with anyone lol, they're such funny little creatures!

A few of the shrimpies out and about

129m_zpsf374194d.jpg

012m_zpsaba7f197.jpg

011m_zps76410d73.jpg

Excellent pics Daize 
smile.png

Plants and shrimps looking good and healthy.

Nice 
wink.png

My Shrimp took about 3 - 4 weeks until I could see them everywhere.
Now they fight with the fishes when I feed them!
Note : I have 6 Ammano shrimp.

How big is your tank?  I'm wondering how many shrimp I should aim for in a 60cm x 40cm tank.  They seem quite happy with six but I'm wondering whether to add a few more.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back