My School Of 12 Pygmy Gouramis

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Dominus_XVIII

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just received my package of 12 pygmy gouramis, upon opening the box I discovered they were DOA, as the bag felt cold as ice (due to the crazy Canadian winter here), the fish were stiff and pale as well as their mouths and gills wide opened .
At that point I just tossed the bag into my 20 gallon long and grabbed my cell, to call the store whom I bought them from, to notify them of a DOA.
Just as I was typing in the 2 last digits on the store's phone #, from the corner of my eye I saw movement. At first it was just 2 or 3 twitching, then they started wiggling before they shot up to the surface with their bodies vertical and their mouths at the surface. A few seconds later and the rest of them did the same. Slowly they taking breaths until their colours came back.
Once their colours came back, they sank back to the bottom of the bag lying flat as if they were dead again. 2 minutes past while their bag was drifting in the tank. One by one they slowly angled their bodies horizontally and started moving inch by inch, until they just started forming their school and swam around normally. Pretty cool, didn't know gouramis or even labyrinth fish could go that deep into hibernation.
Anyone else experience this with their pygmy gouramis?

Woah! I'm sorry that happened. I don't know if it was a hibernation as much as coming out of shock. D: Are they all ok?

I had this happen to some bristle nose plecs (although my fault) put them into a newly cleaned tank without checking the temp and thought I killed them all but a few hours after all were back to normal

Woah! I'm sorry that happened. I don't know if it was a hibernation as much as coming out of shock. D: Are they all ok?
Yup, amazing that they could survive the winter temp here. They're all fine now and even getting along with my Everglades pygmy fish, which I'm cohabbing them with. It's funny to watch to different species of fish from opposite sides of the world school and feed together in harmony :)

I've seen this happen to marine shrimp in my lfs! All looked dead as a door nail but slowly they all started to twitch and move until they were all upright!

Just keep an eye on white spot! And upload pictures :D

Fantastic stuff! Hoping they keep going strong and you don't have any further problems with them :good:

+1 for pictures. :p

I hear that frozen fish incur brain damage. There's a species of frogs that freeze themselves in the winter and then come back alive in the spring when they defrost.

I had a betta fish get so cold I thought he was dead. It was my first fish. I warmed him up and he was full of life again. Goldfish do this they will kind of hibernate. As long as the fish do not get frosting in ice they can be ok.

Hamsters too! Gentle warming on a hot water bottle :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back