The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What should I name my fish

• Total voters

FBTgirl2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My brand new rainbow fish is turquoise and I am obsessed with him considering he is my first ever rainbow fish. He is setteling into his tank and I decided he needs a fancy name. I can't think of one so I want you guys to help me. I have chosen my favorite names for him but I can't decide which one :)

lol he might take offence at being called Gourami
Just on another topic, rainbows should be kept in shoals, if you've only got one he may not be happy and never display his true colours - rainbows are very dull if they're discontent

I would love to vote but I will refrain only because it takes me an age to name any of my fish I do like to spend hours observing my fish getting to know there habits and through there character a name eventually comes to me. This also allows me to identify the distinct differences in markings of a particular fish so I can identify it from other of the same species.

Its sad I know but I have a book, a kind of journal that I keep all stats of my tank what I do and when, along with all my water tests along with all this I have drawings of all my fish I have named with there specific markings with notes on habits. :lol:

Okay so enough of how ridiculously sad I am but hey I love the hobby and my fish.

Good luck with finding a name and I would also endorse Scrotius advice about shoals, I do not have any rainbows myself so have no knowledge of that particular species but it is important that shoaling fish are not kept on there own.

Good luck with naming the little guy :good:

Regards onebto.

As already stated, rainbowfish need to be in shoals, minimum of 6 for them to be happy. On reading another of your threads, unless you have missed out listing a tank, the largest tank you have is a 10g tank, this is far too small for the rainbow to live a long healthy life, turquoise rainbows (assuming thats what you have, M.Lacustris) require a minimum tank size of 30g, they should reach 4-5", preferably 55g for proper growth, so unless you can house it sufficiently and have the space to add 5 more, then it would be best for the fish if you returned it. Im sure thats not what you want to hear and if I dont have the full facts, I apologise in advance, just wanted to let you know.

As already stated, rainbowfish need to be in shoals, minimum of 6 for them to be happy. On reading another of your threads, unless you have missed out listing a tank, the largest tank you have is a 10g tank, this is far too small for the rainbow to live a long healthy life, turquoise rainbows (assuming thats what you have, M.Lacustris) require a minimum tank size of 30g, they should reach 4-5", preferably 55g for proper growth, so unless you can house it sufficiently and have the space to add 5 more, then it would be best for the fish if you returned it. Im sure thats not what you want to hear and if I dont have the full facts, I apologise in advance, just wanted to let you know.

Oh yes I did switch up some tanks. My Hermit crab was living in a 25 gallon while my fish were in 10 gallons. I bought a new ten gallon so I had a 25 gallon, and 2 ten gallons for the fish. Anyway, I am getting a much bigger tank in a couple months, you said 30 gallon would he be able to settle for a 25 gallon until I get my bigger tank? Also, would he be okay without more Rainbows for a couple months too or would a couple more be okay in the 25 gallon?

you should be ok adding a few more to the 25G, I've got 10 dwarf neon rainbows in a 30G tank, they're happy and have coloured nicely :)

you should be ok adding a few more to the 25G, I've got 10 dwarf neon rainbows in a 30G tank, they're happy and have coloured nicely :)

Not for the long term and praecox only get to 2 and a half inches. Lacustris top out around 5 inches, plus rainbows do better when understocked. They are far too sensitive to be crammed into a too small enclosure. You may be able to get by with the 25 gallon but really they need at least 55 gallons to be happy. I speak from experience and want to spare you some heartache. Also, you should be doing 50% or larger waterchanges weekly and feeding 60% of their diet in vegetable matter. Simple tropical flakes won't cut it. I fed mine a high quality spirulina flake along with frozen once a week and deshelled peas a few times a week.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back