My Puddle

Xraymark

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So thought I would dip my toe into the salty side with a Nano reef

Tank: Lido 120 litre

External filter: Tetratec 700. For mechanical and chemical filtration. Will contain Rowaphos, activated
carbon, filter floss and maybe some live rock rubble. Thought about a sump but decided not to.

13kg Live rock: Biological filtration

Powerheads: 2 koralia nano 1600's

Lighting: Undecided. I would like LEDs and i'm deciding if I may splash the cash here. Looking at AI sol, MarinefeefLED quad, Kessils, mazarra razor as options.

Refractometer: DD H2O ocean

Testers: Selifert ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH so far.

Water containers: 2 X 25litre. Will collect RO from LFS and mix with salt myself

Protein skimmer: Undecided and can wait until stocking increases.

Heater: External hydor 200w to keep the tank clutter free.

Progress so far was to empty the tank and give it and the filter a clean. All that lovely media gone after a fishless cycle. Painted the back of the tank black with tile paint. My freshwater can be seen in the background. Need to do something with that as well.:look:

Before

7402267874_bee360a3b1_c.jpg

#40## this was stinky.

7402265520_da08cae5ae_c.jpg

7402263824_c6937a35c7_c.jpg

7402261786_d55960c37d_c.jpg

ainsy said:
Great start Mark :good:

Any ideas about what you want to stock?

Not a clue. Once I get my live rock in I'll give that some thought.

The lido is a lovely tank. I look forward to seeing this one develop. Would be awesome if you could afford decent LEDs like Kessils. The black background will scream for LEDs. Really makes the corals pop.

L

lljdma06 said:
The lido is a lovely tank. I look forward to seeing this one develop. Would be awesome if you could afford decent LEDs like Kessils. The black background will scream for LEDs. Really makes the corals pop.

L

LOL. Yes I like shiny.
Water in today. Liverock tomorrow.
online2long.gif

There is life Jim but not as we know it. I'll get onto that later.

So went and got 13kg of live rock today. The LFS is only 10 minutes away so would assume little die off. Will check parameters tomorrow. I am running the external with the carbon and phosphate remover from the start.

7426624142_939a20de7e_c.jpg

Threw the rock in with no thought to aquascaping.
7426754352_34ccd80064_c.jpg

It was about 10 minutes before I couldn't help myself and got my arms wet.

7426621636_e361fdd818_c.jpg

Its like this at the moment.

7426619742_5652eea904_c.jpg

Still not satisfied but will do for the moment before the milliput comes out.

So got a bit freaked out :crazy: when I seen this swimming about. Anybody ID it. Friend or foe?

7426647808_c7c778f478_c.jpg

7426646356_be98cdcd08_c.jpg

Looks like you got yourself a mantis shrimp. Remove him, he is bad. Watch out, they have a nasty attack.

Looks like a juvenile mantis shrimp to me.

As to whether it's a friend or foe.....that depends upon your point of view!

edit: Beat me to it Crazy!

Juvenile? How big do these things get LOL. It's hiding at the moment.
I'll do a bit of research on him.
yes.gif

Edit spelling

I don't normally link outside, but if you want information on Stomatopods...

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

It's a pretty extensive list.

You have one of the little green ones. ;) At least for now. :lol:

Hmmm. Me thinks Mr shrimpy should probably vacate my tank. Seems he is an aggressive personality.

It's very hard to remove a mantis out without destroying or removing some rock. If you can determine which rock it lives in, startle it to make it go hide there and remove the rock (with mantis inside) using tongs. You can try to get it out, but it's hard to do and most end up smashing the rock or doing something that kills the mantis. The better thing in both respects is usually to just rehome the rock+mantis combination. You could take the rock back to the LFS (telling them what's in it, of course) and see if they will trade you for a new rock. They may actually be able to sell the mantis for a few extra bucks as there are people out there who do buy them.

Most reactions

trending

Back