My PH and total Alkalinity are too low!

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ItzAllyCat

Reaction score
I have an almond leaf in my tank could that be the reason for the change in ph and alkalinity? Should I take it out? I have Java fern, a moss ball, and one betta fish who is healing from finrot. I have been using JNW aquarium test strips, every other parameter is good but it’s just the ph and alkalinity that is scaring me.I have also head test trips are not accurate so maybe that’s my problem? I have a API freshwater MASTER kit coming Sunday so I can get accurate results but is there an easy way to raise the ph and total alkalinity safely without hurting my plants or fish?

"Too low" doesn't tell us anything, please post the numbers. And what these were originally too, since I assume they have lowered from that level. It would also help to have the GH, as the three parameters GH,KH and pH are closely connected. One leaf isn't much, what is the tank volume?

I prefer the API liquid tests. It would also be good for you to establish what your KH levels are, as that acts as a buffer for the pH. If the KH is really, really low, then things like almond leaves can reduce the pH I believe.

Total alkalinity is 0 ppm, and ph is 6.2 :( alkalinity was originally 120 and ph was 7.2. Gh is 25.

"Too low" doesn't tell us anything, please post the numbers. And what these were originally too, since I assume they have lowered from that level. It would also help to have the GH, as the three parameters GH,KH and pH are closely connected. One leaf isn't much, what is the tank volume?
Total alkalinity is 0 ppm, and ph is 6.2 :( alkalinity was originally 120 and ph was 7.2. Gh is 25.

Presumably all numbers (GH and KH) are in ppm. So the source water GH is 25 ppm and the Alkalinity is 120 ppm. pH is 7.2 --are you using tap water, not softened, or something else? By "softened" I mean is the water going through an installed water softener?

Presumably all numbers (GH and KH) are in ppm. So the source water GH is 25 ppm and the Alkalinity is 120 ppm. pH is 7.2 --are you using tap water, not softened, or something else? By "softened" I mean is the water going through an installed water softener?
I’m not so sure if my water is softened or not but I do use tap water, but I make sure to dechlorinate it first with Seachem prime. My tank is 3 gallons (5 without the lid). I have 3 Java fern plants so I have many leaves 🤣.

OK. Sorry for so many questions, but the parameters are closely connected and can be influenced by several factors. You should find out about the softener, I am thinking that Florida might have hard water and your house might have a softener...just something to check as it ipacts fish.

Assuming not, for the explanation. In any aquarium the organic matter and dissolved organics produce CO2, which in turn produces carbonic acid, and the pH naturally lowers. The almond leaf is obviously one organic, but there are many others. Feeding the fish obviously. The pH thus naturally tends to lower, which is where the GH and KH come into play. These can affect this, especially if they are substantial. Here they are not, so there is no buffering capacity, or very little, on the pH.

This is not really a problem. Bettas are soft water fish, and they come from and prefer soft to very soft water with an acidic pH. The Betta will be fine. If you had hard water species, that would be a very different matter.

Do regular (once a week) partial water changes, change half or a bit over of the tank water at each, use the conditioner but nothing else. This will work to buffer it somewhat. The almond leaf is still beneficial to the fish, I would not remove it, but it is not doing all that much anyway.

Don't listen to anything the store may tell you about having to buffer the pH, increase the KH, blah, blah...here it is completely unnecessary. I had zero GH and KH with the pH in the 4's or 5's in my tanks for 30 years. As long as the fish are from such water, they are in ideal surroundings.

There is just the softener issue to check, though.

OK. Sorry for so many questions, but the parameters are closely connected and can be influenced by several factors. You should find out about the softener, I am thinking that Florida might have hard water and your house might have a softener...just something to check as it ipacts fish.

Assuming not, for the explanation. In any aquarium the organic matter and dissolved organics produce CO2, which in turn produces carbonic acid, and the pH naturally lowers. The almond leaf is obviously one organic, but there are many others. Feeding the fish obviously. The pH thus naturally tends to lower, which is where the GH and KH come into play. These can affect this, especially if they are substantial. Here they are not, so there is no buffering capacity, or very little, on the pH.

This is not really a problem. Bettas are soft water fish, and they come from and prefer soft to very soft water with an acidic pH. The Betta will be fine. If you had hard water species, that would be a very different matter.

Do regular (once a week) partial water changes, change half or a bit over of the tank water at each, use the conditioner but nothing else. This will work to buffer it somewhat. The almond leaf is still beneficial to the fish, I would not remove it, but it is not doing all that much anyway.

Don't listen to anything the store may tell you about having to buffer the pH, increase the KH, blah, blah...here it is completely unnecessary. I had zero GH and KH with the pH in the 4's or 5's in my tanks for 30 years. As long as the fish are from such water, they are in ideal surroundings.

There is just the softener issue to check, though.
Okay, thank you for this info it was really helpful! I live in an apartment complex so I have no idea about what the water type is but I will see if I can find out. Thank you again!

Most reactions

Back