My Non-fish Pets, A Listing

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Herpetology!

Reaction score
Hey

We have:

A breeding pair of gold skinks, a Irian Jaya Blue Tongue Skink, a breeding pair of croc skinks, a berber skink, a fire skink, 3 crested geckos (about to lay eggs!), 2 cats, 2 green tree frogs and a grey banded kingsnake.

Lots!

Anyone else like skinks?

In a word, yes. Remember, you asked for it!

Apollo, the two month old crested gecko:
Picture014.jpg

One of our two green tree frogs:
Picture012.jpg

Our breeding pair of crested geckos (about to lay eggs) (Pika is on top, Kitkat is on bottom):
Picture010.jpg

Sauria the fire skink:
Picture002.jpg

Cats, Simon on right Xiola on left:
Picture006.jpg

Crocodile skinks, breeding pair, Keira and Kaedo:
crocskink004.jpg

Blueberry the Irian Jaya Blue Tongue Skink (he's bigger now):
Picture038.jpg

Gojira the Berber Skink:
Picture127.jpg

Tigo the Grey Banded Kingsnake:
Picture095.jpg

Twitch my female Gold skink (1/2 of my breeding pair):
Pregnant_2.jpg

Pirate Captain Spasm I my male gold skink:
Spas_model.jpg

I think thats all of them!!!

They are adorable!

Especially the pic of Apollo - I nominate that one for POTM! :wub:

all great.I love cresties and am actually looking for a breeder close to me to get some once i have my Panther chameleon setup finished

your bluetoung is absolutely amazing, can we see some more pics of him please!? im really considering getting one after these, iv read up on them a great deal but have had many varied oppinions on tank size etc, can you share us a little info please, and also that fire skink is amazing! where did you get him from? and if you dont mind me asking what prices were the blue toung and the fire skink?? thanks
dany

your bluetoung is absolutely amazing, can we see some more pics of him please!? im really considering getting one after these, iv read up on them a great deal but have had many varied oppinions on tank size etc, can you share us a little info please, and also that fire skink is amazing! where did you get him from? and if you dont mind me asking what prices were the blue toung and the fire skink?? thanks
dany

Blue tongues, depending on where you go, can be bitey jerks. Wildcaught of ANY type excluding the northern, shingleback or Irian Jaya (Which I have, has a characteristic red belly) tend the be nicer. I used a 40 gallon shallow for mine but it's outgrowing it a bit. 40 gal is listed as the minimum and I keep mine at about 32 celcius and room temp in the cool zone. Eats like a pig and comes out almost daily, but is exceptionally lazy so doesn't move around alot. After a few months you should have been tasted a few times or bitten depending on age and breed (babies bite more). I paid $350 for mine. It was outrageous, but all the breeders I can track down either don't ship or don't live very close to me at all. So I went to a scumy petstore and rescued it from there, couldn't be happier with it. I've SEEN baby northern blue tongue skinks for about $125 (canadian) from a breeder and I've HEARD as low as $75. For more info, check out www.bluetongueskinks.net They have a crappy forum and GREAT info on the types.

The fire skinks are hit and miss. Nobody I've ever met (and I am more than chest deep in the reptile scene) has bred them. They have doubled in price from $40-80 Canadian in the last year at petstores. I got mine for 40 from some guy who sold it off to breed leopard geckos.

FOR THE GUY LOOKING FOR CRESTIES: I've seen them as low as $40 for low end babies and I've seen as high as $300 for proven breeder high end females with tails. Wow. Anyways, PM me and tell me where you live at. Maybe we can work something out by december (I've got babies due in about 70 days) if you live near western Canada. Check out the reptile shows and look up reptile societies in your area on google.

HOW DO I GET IN ON POTM??

If you have more herp questions, maybe you should hit up www.herpcenter.com it's my favorite forum for herps. I'm not plugging an add for it or anything, I in no way represent it. It's just the best one out there and I reccomend it...though I am the skink expert there with the most amount of skink experience.

TO THE GUY LOOKING FOR A CRESTIE: Where do you live? Feel free to PM me.

Also, anymore questions you can PM me or post here and I'll try my best.

Oh yes, the pics of Blueberry. This is the species that got me into herpetology in the first place. I thought by finally getting one after 16 years of waiting (I'm 20) that it would stop. Boy was I wrong...By the way, you should do research on the different color morphs available. I wanted one with lots of black but found this one to be prettier, what with the colors on the back legs and not on the front. By the way, he's still only about 1.5 years old in this pic. He's definately NOT fully grown yet!!

crocskink002.jpg

Picture118.jpg

Picture115.jpg

NOTE THE RED BELLY ON THE IRIAN JAYA BLUE TONGUE HERE. THE IJ BTS HAS A MUCH LESS POINTY AND WIDER HEAD THAN ANY OTHER BTS:
Picture125.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Picture126.jpg

Thanks but i am in the UK so will keep searching

You will have to wait for the september POTM to be started then put the pic and link to this thread in it

Lovely pics, great collection.

for pet of the month you have to have a pic nominated by 2 other members, before it can fo ito the comp.

I'd like to nominate the fire skink. (what a beauty) hope you get another nomination.

(although it was a close call between that and Blueberry :wub: )

Two people nominated apollo (baby crestie) already, one for the fire skink sauria. Blueberry is awesome too.

If I'm allowed to(being so new)I nominate the fire Skink. It really is a great work of art.

Just a thought, what does it eat and is it a hassle to handle? One of my dreams in life is to own a Reptile but I'm unfortunately pretty picky. But that Fire Skink... :drool:

Fire skinks are cheap (most I've seen is 80 dollars canadian) and they are very simple to raise. A low powered heatlamp with a warm heatpad, soil substrate and they eat crickets and other insects. I'm told they eat some fruit but mine isn't interested. I'm getting a male to go with Sauria, hopefully before saturday. They aren't too bad to handle, they usually "swim" through the substrate rapidly to get away. I'm told they can bite but I've bugged mine a fair bit in a grumpy mood and she's NEVER bit me or threatened to bite. They are very docile once you get them away from their substrate.

Can I have 2 pet of the month entries?? I have two nominations for Apollo the baby crestie and two for Sauria the Fire skink

Fire skinks are cheap (most I've seen is 80 dollars canadian) and they are very simple to raise. A low powered heatlamp with a warm heatpad, soil substrate and they eat crickets and other insects. I'm told they eat some fruit but mine isn't interested. I'm getting a male to go with Sauria, hopefully before saturday. They aren't too bad to handle, they usually "swim" through the substrate rapidly to get away. I'm told they can bite but I've bugged mine a fair bit in a grumpy mood and she's NEVER bit me or threatened to bite. They are very docile once you get them away from their substrate.

Can I have 2 pet of the month entries?? I have two nominations for Apollo the baby crestie and two for Sauria the Fire skink

Yes you can put them both in the September POTM when the topic is started

Most reactions

Back