My New Project - Nano Reef Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ben Harper

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been keeping tropical fish now for some time and have often thought about setting a salt water tank. A couple of months ago I started looking into converting one of my 200 litre tanks, but I got very confused with the requirments. I am now looking at setting up a 80 litre Nano reef tank, I was hoping to put 2-3 Clown fish, a carb or 2 and lots of live corel. The problem is I just do not know where to start, I have been look at a number of different Nano tanks, some with built in filters and some without, which tank would be better for what I would like to do? Also a lot of the tanks I have been looking at have built in lights, would these built in lights be good enough for the live rocks as a general or in most cases would I need to upgarde these? I have read lots of post from people setting up a salt water tanks and they talk about things such as skimmers, Uv steraliser and wave makers. Are all these required within a small Nano tank or are they main used within bigger setups?

I have a number of bits which I have used in some of my Tropical tanks which I was hoping to use in this project, but I am open to peoples comments if they feel that they are not good enough.

Tetra Tec 600 filter (if the built in filter would not be good enoough)
In line 200 watt heater

I have been keeping tropical fish now for some time and have often thought about setting a salt water tank. A couple of months ago I started looking into converting one of my 200 litre tanks, but I got very confused with the requirments.

Thats a shame, that would make a great salt water tank - we can help you

I am now looking at setting up a 80 litre Nano reef tank,

I would strongly urge you to look at something larger, maybe around the 125 mark

I was hoping to put 2-3 Clown fish,

Only two clowns i'm afraid and they need at least 20 gallons, but better if 25 gallons

a carb or 2 and lots of live corel.

Sorry, I dont know what a carb is? So, you want a reef, ok, that helps

The problem is I just do not know where to start, I have been look at a number of different Nano tanks, some with built in filters and some without, which tank would be better for what I would like to do?

Ok, so you are a newbie to salt but not keeping fish, you want a reef that can support at least two clowns and possibly a few more fish :good: and you want to keep corals - this is called a full reef set-up. Lets start you on your journey :good:

Actions:
  • Open up a word document to save all your info: stock list, equipment list, stats etc
  • Start to read journels on here, of tanks of the approx size you are looking at - may I suggest the rio 125s like Harrys and a few others who are currently setting up at the moment and the Orca 550, again a few people on here have had or do have this tank. Its the tank I started with
:good:

Also a lot of the tanks I have been looking at have built in lights, would these built in lights be good enough for the live rocks

Live rock doesn't actually need light, but your corals will and yes, for most softies and some hard corals t5 lighting is fine :good:

as a general or in most cases would I need to upgarde these?

Nope, only if you started to become interested in SPS or high light loving corals - these really are best left to the experienced salty

I have read lots of post from people setting up a salt water tanks and they talk about things such as skimmers,

Removes organics from the water, in a very small tank you dont need one, but in a tank of approx 125 I would recommend you have one. Second hand ones are a good way to go and we will help you choose

Uv steraliser

There is a uv on the orca, but to be honest I dont think you need one

and wave makers. Are all these required within a small Nano tank or are they main used within bigger setups?

People mean different things when they talk about wavemakers - If I was talking about one I would be talking about a pump that makes waves in the tank but some powerhead makers now call their powerheads wavemakers which confuses people :crazy: what you need are powerheads that create flow around your live rock :good: for a reef at least x 20

I have a number of bits which I have used in some of my Tropical tanks which I was hoping to use in this project, but I am open to peoples comments if they feel that they are not good enough.

Tetra Tec 600 filter (if the built in filter would not be good enoough)

You will not need this as the live rock is your filter

In line 200 watt heater

You will of course need a heater

A basic set up of approx 125 litres:

2 x t5 lights, you will need four later when you dip your toes into the world of hard corals and you will!!
Approx 16k of live rock
2 x powerheads that turn over at least x 20 flow
aragonite sand
test kits, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and phosphates
skimmer
heater
containers to store or carry salty water
Decide if you are going to buy your salty stuff or buy an RO unit - buying will save you money in the long run
Refractometer
Phoshate remover

well, thats a start - go and read lots, start a journel and then ask loads of questions - we are all happy to help you :good:

Seffie x

Hi,

The Carb bit was ment to say I would like to have a crab or 2 at the bottom of the tank. I would love to be able to start with a tank like a rio 125, but due the the size and the number of other tanks I have got running I am not allowed to have one this size. I have been doing alot of looking at tanks which others have set up and I like the look of this tank. Is this sort of tank realistic for a beginner? What things would I need to take in to consideration to achive this sort of look. Has anyone got any ideas of the names of the corels in this tank?

Attachments

• nano-reef-tank1.jpg
    nano-reef-tank1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 155
With the exception of the clam in the top left corner that kind of tank is totally possible for a beginner. Most of the corals I can see are soft corals or LPS which will do fine under less intense lighting (i.e. 3 or 4 T5 tubes).

The thing you have to keep in mind though is that a tank like that will not happen over night. Stocking corals to that density really should take at least a year, if not longer.

First things to consider is your budget and how much room you have spare. A bigger tank isn't always more expensive but as you said having room for it is another matter. I will say though that most people I know who start off with a nano tank end up upgrading to something bigger within 9 months so that's worth baring in mind.

Seffie has given you a good start on the equipment. Best option really now we know what you want is to go and take a look at some tanks you like and post the info up here. Chances are someone here will already have used that tank in the past.

Start with the 200 - it's more forgiving - and not too much extra interms of start up cost. U wont regret it!

I have talk my other half in to allowing me to get a nice corner tank and I have been doing some looking on the interent and I quite like the Jewel Trigon 190. What extra equipment would I need, would I need a stump, Uv sterliser, Skimmer, would the standard light bar be ok or would I have to up grade it, how many power heads would I need?

I have talk my other half in to allowing me to get a nice corner tank and I have been doing some looking on the interent and I quite like the Jewel Trigon 190.

Is the corner tank due to space restrictions?

What extra equipment would I need, would I need a stump,

You dont have to have a sump, however its nice, it adds to the water volume and you can hide equipement in it - I havent got one.

Uv sterliser,

Nope

Skimmer,

Yes for a tank that size imo

would the standard light bar be ok or would I have to up grade it,

All according what you want to keep - 2 x t5 or even t8 would be fine for many softies, mushrooms etc. 2 x T5 you could even keep some lower light hard corals. 4 x t5 most LPS and a few sps

how many power heads would I need?

At the minimum, two - one either end

Look for second hand :good:

Most reactions

trending

Back