My New Flowerhorn

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thereverendturtle

I'm to old for this
Reaction score
Got this one today. At the shop it was all light blue, head to tail. This is it 10 mins after being put in my tank. Currently 2.5-3" TL.
IMAG0031.jpg

Sorry its a bit blurry. Will try for better pics later. Yes another FH growth thread.

What size tank are you keeping him/her in?

Defiantly want one of these but may need to upgrade my house to make room for the tank! :lol:

He/she is in a 4' 60gallon, for now.
Thanks guys, I'm really pleased with its colors. First time keeping a FH, as it grows, I plan on removing rocks and possibly upgrading the tank to an 80-90 gallon tank, if its male and keeps on growing.

Thanks guys, I'm really pleased with its colors. First time keeping a FH, as it grows, I plan on removing rocks and possibly upgrading the tank to an 80-90 gallon tank, if its male and keeps on growing.
Looks nice :) how big is he/she? Iv been told mine is most likely a male. He is around the 3 inches now and iv only had him a few weeks, incredible growth rates. I have him in a 125 gallon by himself. Wish I'd got a FH sooner. I have a blue Thai Silk.

I will be watching this thread :)

I just realised you said how big he/she was so ignore my initial question :good: awesome fish

Looks nice :) how big is he/she? Iv been told mine is most likely a male. He is around the 3 inches now and iv only had him a few weeks, incredible growth rates. I have him in a 125 gallon by himself. Wish I'd got a FH sooner. I have a blue Thai Silk.

I just realised you said how big he/she was so ignore my initial question :good: awesome fish
Thank you. I think its male as its developed a small hump in the week and half I've had him. He's also no longer showing the red much, just bark blue spangling. I'll post a new pic tomorrow.

Thank you. I think its male as its developed a small hump in the week and half I've had him. He's also no longer showing the red much, just bark blue spangling. I'll post a new pic tomorrow.
Looking forward to the pics :)

Ok, so here's a blurry photo two weeks and half an inch later...
IMAG0038.jpg

I'm going to have to quit using my phone and break out the camera. It's hard to tell, but his kok is really starting to show. He's gotten really dark and I don't know why. Any clues? Could this just be his colors, or is it because I have him with more dominant fish for now?

Nice :) good know see he/she is growing well. Mine has gone from 1 inch to a chunky 4 inches in around 8 weeks. I'm feeding him 3 times a day. I thought the way to tell if its a male is the nuchal hump (kok) is bigger and shows in early ages and the top fin is more pointed? The one about the fin maybe wrong, but that's what I was told.

The colour on mine went much darker when he settled in. Mine is a blue thai silk.

I'll get a pic of mine tomorrow. I too usually use my phone to take pics as its easier to upload them on here or upload vids to YouTube

From looking at males and females online (pics, vids) and the replies from other members here I'm thinking its a male. I'm pretty sure the fins are less pointed on females and the nuchal hump doesn't show quite as much in females as it does males when at this size. Another thing more often than not is female fish, from what iv heard and read, tend to grow slower than males. I wouldn't expect the sort of growth rate iv seen in my FH if it was female.

I'm yet to have a DEFINITE answer from anyone on it but this is what I'm thinking

Cool. I'm going to use my camera tomorrow, to try and get better pictures. I should probably clean the glass in and out as well. Now this is if I have time, maintenance due on 1 car, and need to do the brakes on my truck.

Look forward to seeing the pics if you get around to it. Looks like you have enough to get on with :) have fun lol

I need to get some good shots of my FH. All mine are usually taken at night and because of the moonlight blue lighting, they are usually pretty dark. Need to get some taken in the daytime

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back