My new Corydoras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
For a few months now, I have had 2 female Corydoras armatus living in a 75 gallon tetra community. Just 2, because that was all I could get at the time. I found them after all the others had been sold. It's become one of my favourites, but I confess, I haven't been seeing a lot of them. I love the tall dorsal.

armatus1 (640x427).jpg
But I haven't liked their situation - no Corys should ever be as isolated as a group of two. They are really social fish.
I dropped in to a specialty aquarium fish store a few weeks back, and bought small groups of 3 species of Corys. They, and some wild caught cf incolicana from another source came out of quarantine today. They are an undescribed species known as sp CW 123, or sometimes, the yellow Cory. Even though we don't know how Corys know each other, I took a chance their colouration would help with my armatus. The communication is probably chemical, but as a human, I hope it's visual too.
CW123a (640x427).jpg
I also added tthe incolicana types.This was done last night.

Nothing replaces its own species for a Corydoras, but I can report that the armatus are suddenly magically visible, even at times swimming with the other two species. The Cory test is night-time, when species sleep in their own groups. Maybe someday, I'll find more armatus and be able to give them the company they deserve. But at least they feel okay swimming at the front of the glass now. That's progress.
cf incolicana1 (640x427).jpg

I also added two other species, currently in their own tanks.
The first is Corydoras concolor, a fish I really like the colours of. They are low key, but very different.
concolor6 (640x334).jpg

The second group is Corydoras brevirostris, or maybe melanistius. A very similar fish was one of my favourites when I was a kid, although I didn't understand their need for company back then.
brevir1 (640x427).jpg

We live in a world with very cool Corys in it!

Cory's are 1 of my big favourites in the Tropical world. I always keep minimum of 6. I particularly like the Bronze/Albino Cory they fascinate me with the crazy things they do. I have been a big cory fan since owning my first aquarium back in the 90s. My oldest Cory was male & I owned him for 7 years, He caught something nasty off a few more Cory's i introduced without quarantine 😳. Not a mistake I will make again 😪

Cories are the class clowns in an aquarium. Sit and watch their antics for hours, even when tiny like my Pandas & Rusties, they act out all silly nonstop. Never a dull moment when you have Cories in the aquarium.

They are very enigmatic and charming little characters.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back