My New 1g Project

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bitteraspects

Fish Herder
Reaction score
might be 2g, im not sure. i think its 1g though.

IMG_2626.jpg

i wanted to put something besides feeders in this tiny little tank, but you really cant "filter" a tank this small. you can addan air pump, but even most sponge and box filters will take up most of the room in the tank. so i decided to go a little crazy with it, and build a HUGE wet/dry filter for it, just out of boredom, and for the fun of it

drilled the tank, and added bulkhead fittings

IMG_2627.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

then i threw this little filter thing together real quick to do a wet test.

IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

now to build a filter.

lol. thanks. the thing pictured was just a temporary filter for the test. i will be building a large wet/dry filter for it. i just need to pick up a few things from the hardware store after work tomorrow.

did the second wet test today, and apparently the 22gph pump is too small. i forgot that the stand im putting it on is just over 3' tall, and has 3 90 degree bends, so the pump head was too much for the return. upgraded it to a 60GPH pump, and its runnig well now. but 60gph on a 1g tank, is a bit much

i think i may have found the solution to the flow rating.

Homaloptera orthogoniata

vs03-02-01.gif

these guys will love the current.

i love that DIY filter! is each draw a different filter medium like the big tetratec ones? brilliant!

wow this looks like such a cool idea! Will be keeping an eye on this :)

i love that DIY filter! is each draw a different filter medium like the big tetratec ones? brilliant!

Thanks. This was just a temporary filter, the actual filter is a 5gal wet/dry trickle filter.
But to answer your question, yes, when setting up this type of filter you would put different type of bio-media in the bottom drawers, and mech media in the top.
I will try to post the. Update on this set up later today.

heres the tank as it stands today

IMG_2659.jpg

i still havent found the right 20-30g container to make my big wet/dry, so i made a smaller one out of a 5gal bucket.
the 5g wet/dry is powered by a 60gph pump.

yeah... i know... a little overboard.

so as of right now it went from this:

IMG_2626.jpg

to this:

neontank5.jpg

:good:

yeah i prefered it before i think

I prefer it after, the more plants the better IMO, I also think that if you got some narrow and needle fern in there to compliment the java fern, it would set thing off nicely.

yeah, i pulled a couple of small anubias out of my refugium to see if it would work out, but i dont think it will.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back