My Nano Journal!

errr...what do you mean by purple algae? If you mean coralline then it can take anywhere from two-three weeks to two-three months...just kind of depends, you may notice growth on your rocks immediately but may not see growth on the tank walls for several months. You're CUC wont eat coralline though, you're adding them to take care of detrius, green algaes, cyano bacteria, uneaten food, different forms of waste and nuisance nutrient exports. You can add them as soon as your water conditions are fit, if there is not enough algae growth on the substrate and rocks then you can supplement their diet with most fish foods.

ah rite thanks! thank god your on here otherwise id be lost! i want to add some CUC now, but my nitrates are 10ppm. is this ok? or should i perform a water change first and how should i do this? how often should i perform one? thanks in advance summat fishy :)

10ppm isn't that big a deal on nitrates. If in the next few days it jumps up to 20+ then I'd consider doing a big waterchange. First you mix up saltwater in a bucket/bin with a powerhead in there for at least 24 hours. Then you remove however much water you made from the display tank, and add the newly mixed water in its place.

errr...what do you mean by purple algae? If you mean coralline then it can take anywhere from two-three weeks to two-three months...just kind of depends, you may notice growth on your rocks immediately but may not see growth on the tank walls for several months. You're CUC wont eat coralline though, you're adding them to take care of detrius, green algaes, cyano bacteria, uneaten food, different forms of waste and nuisance nutrient exports. You can add them as soon as your water conditions are fit, if there is not enough algae growth on the substrate and rocks then you can supplement their diet with most fish foods.

besides urchins remember, urchins are part of some CUC's.

For water changes, i mix it in a container, get it at its correct salinity and temp. THEN i wait at least 24 hours (12 if im rushing) for everything to stabilize. Then i take water out, and pump water back in.

Good point musho, and btw...off the subject but Im just curious, any of you guys use your auto top offs to do water changes? Or just go the old hose and bucket route?

thanks guys, looks like im going shopping for some CUC! is there any major differences between blue legged and red legged hermits? as in what they will/wont eat? thanks in advance summat fishy :)

I wouldn't be happy with them in water of above say 40ppm.

I wouldn't be happy with them in water of above say 40ppm.

thanks so im safe then! erm ive tested for ammonia and its come back 0.25 - 0.50 ( lime greenish) and was wondering how i can lower this and if it will do it itself? ive also got an outbreak of brown algaw which gets more and more everyday and my little hermits having a whale of a time on his own! any advice on what do do next? did a 10% water change last night as nitrate was 10ppm. thanks in advance summat fishy :)

Sounds like you might have a fair bit of dieoff still going on. Batten down the hatches and wait it out :)

thanks guys, will waite it out as you suggested, will probably be getitng more live rock so im going to have loads of dieing off to come so a long way off fish. if i buy cured does this mean no die off? also what is/isnt suitable 7 gallon wise? i cant seem to find anything suitable :(

thanks guys, will waite it out as you suggested, will probably be getitng more live rock so im going to have loads of dieing off to come so a long way off fish. if i buy cured does this mean no die off? also what is/isnt suitable 7 gallon wise? i cant seem to find anything suitable :(
I personally dont think there is ever "no" die-off. But the cured live rock is less likely to have a big abundance of die off.

hi guys, its been a while yes, but ive now got some new pics, and after this week has passed my money can start flowing towards the nano, as driving lessons have been dominating my life and i have had to be funding them, so hopefully if i pass this week, its all good...

ive not added any more live rock as yet, but im ordering some off www.liverock.co.uk and they will hopefully be able to provide some quality rock. has anyone used these? any good?

all i have done recently is maintain the tank. that is change 10% of the water weekly, and take the relavant tests. i have noticed the PH has dropped slightly. will this go back up with water changes? also, what can be done to prevent this? i know there is PH buffer is this any good?

water tests as follows:

nitrate: 0
nitrite: 0
ammonia: 0
ph: 8 :S!

i was also wondering, if i get sufficiant lighting and lots more life rock, is it possible for me to have a really nice reef without a sump? and if i do have a sump, how much is this likely to set me back to build one? thanks in advance summat fishy :)

pics:

ps: i know the tank looks dirty, but its just algae! need to perchase some snails very soon...

Yes it's possible to run a nano without a sump, lots of people do.

On the other hand, it's not hard to set up, compared to the overall cost of setting up / maintaining a nano the costs are minimal (return pump / glass) and it makes life a bit easier and adds to the water volume.

There doesn't look to be much in the tank to move the water, more surface agitation will raise the ph a little

Most reactions

Back