My Monos Have Died

kanzaris

Fishaholic
Joined
Feb 9, 2006
Messages
427
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
UK, Leicester
Hi All
I haven’t been on here for a while had lots of things going on. Life has just been hell for the last year.
A few of you might remember that I got a 150 gal tank with Cat Sharks, Monos, Archers, Green Spotted Puffer and a Jade Goby.
We had the tank for just over 2 years now and things were ok until last week when all of a sudden one of my Archers just died. Then this week my three Monos died, the last one this morning. They don’t have any disease well not that I can see anything. The only two things I can think of are, water Quality or Salinity. We let the water changes slip for a bit, we used to do water changes every three weeks I think the last one we done is 5 weeks ago. We also use a skimmer. I thought that if it would be the Water Quality the Cat Sharks or my Puffer be affected first? The second thing I thought is the salinity. This morning we done a big water change and when we measured the salinity it was nearly 1.020 full marine. We always kept it at 1.015. But again why the Monos as they should be ok in this salinity. I know it is our fault for not looking after the tank the way we should.

I have been wrecking my brain why my fish are dying. Maybe I found the answer.
About 3 month ago my niece put one of these fragrant sprays that on top of the computer, the once that spray every 30 min. The fish tank is in the extension at the back. The tank is on one site and the computer on the other opposite site of the tank. I didn’t think the spray could get to the tank as I turned it in the other direction. My husband is convinced that the spray is the problem. I have removed it to be on the safe side. I hope it’s not to late.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sabby
 
Anything that's put into the air can potentially affect fish tanks...think how far away you can smell the perfume in these sprays and such. That shows how far it can travel. It may[/b] be that but I would have thought it would have started affecting the fish sooner than now.

Do you regularly test your water to see if the salinity and statistics are ok? I think it's a good idea personall, especially salinity as this changes and gets higher as the water in the tank evaporates.
I'd also be doing more frequent water changes. I have 8 tanks of varying sizes and change water on a weekly to 10 day basis as a matter of routine.

What are the water stats...any ammonia or nitrite build up? Ph? Phosphates and nitrates? What is the filtration? Is the temperature ok?

Sorry if I am asking silly questions. Knowing the background will help somewhat :unsure:
 
Hi Jennybugs

Thanks for your reply.
There is no ammonia or nitrite or anything like that. My Husband had it tested in our LFS. Our filtration consists of a Fluvel FX5, two power heads and a TMC V2 Skim 1500 Protein Skimmer. And we only use RO Water.
It is my fault; I will start doing water changes regular again.
I really think it must have been the spray, after a massive water change nothing else has died. You would think after keeping fish for fifteen years I would know better.

Thanks
Sabby
 
Well I hope it does prove to be just that then :D I don't use any aerosols or such in the house as I have too many tanks tat could become contaminated :unsure:
 
Maybe they got mono and died?
har har.
I have yet to lose an archer fish but I know that monos are extremely sensitve (mono argentus is what i keep)
I upgraded from a 75 gal to a 135gal a month back and all of the monos died in the bucket but everyone else was fine. Tested the water in the bucket and it was fine too. (i really do think they stressed themselves to death) I just recently got 7 more juveniles and they all came with ick and only 4 of them made it through the salt/heat method treatment. Now one of them has decided to poo part of its intestines out. Its not parasites either. I think its swim bladder swelled with the change in salinity and pushed them out somehow. I dnt know how long he will make it. He looks fine and happy but hasnt eaten much. Ive debated performing my own fish surgery but I dont think I could catch it out of that tank if I tried.
I would deffinately keep up on the water changes! I have 25 mangroves to filter my water but I still do one 20 gal brut container a week half RO half tap.
Even if the water is testing fine you have limited trace elements in your water and should maybe only do half RO or buy a trace element additive. Im not sure how much a protien skimmer actually helps in mid brackish tanks either. I havent used one because I have plants.
I think 5 weeks is way too long. Im sure anyone would lose fish at that point.
2 cents.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top