My mom's getting a tank for her classroom

lizard

Married Lizard
Reaction score
Residing in a big city in Minnesota, but I'm a cou
I went to visit my mom this weekend and was going to try to convince her she should have a fishtank in her classroom. Before I could even say anything about it, she told me that my cousin offered her a big fish tank (my mom was thinking 55 gallon, but couldn't remember) and she said yes! :drool: (My mother actually told me to stop drooling after she told me about it! :lol: ) And, better yet, she told me that *I* can set it all up, pick out the fish, etc. and she'll pay for it! Yay! She checked the e-mail from my cousin this morning and my cousin said it's a 75 or 100 gallon tank, although my mom still thinks it's probably a 55. Either way, that's a big tank to stock! I'm so excited! :fun:

I'm think of putting some Clown Loaches in there - I figure her students (first and second graders) will really like watching them. Also thinking of upside-down catfish - students will enjoy watching 'em swim upside-down. Any other suggestions for stocking the tank? I'd like to have a number of different varities of fish, so the children can see how many varieties of fish there really are. Thanks!

Pamela
aka Married Lizard

ATE U NUTS! i don't live in the US so i don't know who old these kids will be but WHY!

Any1 that don't keep fish will instinctivly tap on the glass to try and provike a reaction. I recomend u put a glass or plastic screen in front of the tank so ppl cant tap on the tank and also u might wanna consider getting some rolls of this glass tinting stuff it's kinda like instant limo glass. it'll lower the stress levels in the tank.

ANYHOW WOT WERE U THINKING TANK IN CLASSS ROOM! unless it's universaty

Um...yeah!

Its a good idea and a bad idea.

They may get over fed as well and people might drop things in the tank that are bad for the fishes.

I don't know, maybe get a screen to stop them tapping the tank?

Interesting fish.

Khuli Loaches, they will love to see them squirm. Will they learn about fish, because if they do, they will learn not to touch the tank and why. Also get anything pretty and easy to keep!

Tropjunky said:
Any1 that don't keep fish will instinctivly tap on the glass to try and provike a reaction. I recomend u put a glass or plastic screen in front of the tank so ppl cant tap on the tank and also u might wanna consider getting some rolls of this glass tinting stuff it's kinda like instant limo glass. it'll lower the stress levels in the tank.
The fish can also be a great learning tool for the children. They learn about different varieties of fish, how to care for them, and things like that :nod: Thanks for the comments though - I hadn't thought about the kids tapping on the tank a lot. I'll talk to my mom about it, and I know she will see to making sure the tank-tapping is kept to a minimum. She can teach the children why they shouldn't tap on the tank, etc. Thanks, also, for the suggestion of the tinting stuff for the tank - will keep it in mind.

"puffer_freak" said:
They may get over fed as well and people might drop things in the tank that are bad for the fishes.

I don't know, maybe get a screen to stop them tapping the tank?

Khuli Loaches, they will love to see them squirm. Will they learn about fish, because if they do, they will learn not to touch the tank and why. Also get anything pretty and easy to keep!

Thanks for the comments. I will also mention the feeding/over-feeding possibility to my mom. Knowing her, she'll make sure no one opens that tank lid unless she's given him or her an engraved invitation to do so :p :lol: Okay, so that was a slight exaggeration.... :p

Khuli loaches - good idea! Thanks for the suggestion.

My mom will take anything and turn it into an opportunity to learn. I'm sure by the end of the first day (or first day that the tank is in there), her students will know that it's not good for the fish if you tap on the tank, nor should they feed the fish unless they have permission, and any number of other things :)

Thanks for the suggestions and concerns thus far and keep 'em coming, please! I will keep you updated.

Pamela
aka Married Lizard

how about somehting that will breed easily then they could watch breeding activity and the raising of fry.

Kribs are meant to be good parents aren't they?

She should teach them what live food you can feed them as well as flakes.

She could also link the fishes to science - the life cycle and etc. She could also link it to the environment - the destruction of the reefs and other stuff. This could be very eduational as well as great fun. The plants could also make good science lessons! Any other projects would be art and stuff. They could do factfiles on them and write poems and stuff in English. Just a few lesson ideas which are probably a bit too fish orientated! :D

An idea for looking after the fish, is that, each week she could nominate someone or a group to be the fish tank monitors!

Also, what is going to do over the weekend, are they going to have the lights on a timer?

As long as your mother lays down the ground rules and explains that ANYONE caught tapping the tank will have to go and sit outside the teachers office, or they will miss play time, or something like that.... They will learn not to do it.... (My mum is a Reception/First year teacher aswell!).

I think going for clown loaches and upsidedown catfish sounds great! How about a bristlenose plec and then maybe school of 10 - 15 tetra and a couple of rams or something nice and colourful like that.

Ben

i used to teach pre-K so my kids were 4 and 5 and they were very good with the class pets. we never had fish, but had all sorts of rodents, and a turtle, and hermit crabs. as long as they understand that tapping and feeding will harm the animal they should do just fine.

i agree with something that will breed easily. probably egg layers would be better than live bearers. and something that will swim up to the glass when the kids are looking.

colourful community fish who breed easily and are a joy to watch? look no further than swordtails! the kids will LOVE their swords! or Black widow tetras - very playful fish.

and all kids love guppies - trust me, I work in a lfs! they go crazy for them!

Most reactions

Back