My Molly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AngelOfDeath

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How long until she pops, in your opinion?

Attachments

• pregs.JPG
    pregs.JPG
    7.6 KB · Views: 29
I think she will drop after a week to 2 weeks, she aint squared off yet..

Although depending on her size it may be sooner, mollies sometimes tend not to get as big as most livebearers when pregnant and can suprise you by dropping when they aint big.

post_38299_1221149179.jpg

cheers for that pic, I think i photographed the less pregenant one, one of them definately looks fairly square. I think you are right and they'll pop in about a week

Guys, one of my mollies has salt-like grains on sand on it's tail, could this be anything other than whitespot, e.g a result of no brackish water? The fish is active and displays no discomfort, also it was in my main tank for a bit and no other fish has developed any problems.

cheers.

Most likely whitespot, but no brackish water may be a contributing factor. Mollies seem to be more prone to stress in fresh water (especially if it's not hard alkaline water), so if water quality dips even a trace, if they're injured or bullied, they're often one of the first to show it. Stress weakens fish, and makes them more susceptible to diseases that they would usually shrug off, like whitespot. In my experience, mollies always seem to show stress by promptly getting ich.

If the fish is alone, or you can isolate it, making the tank brackish, even temporarily, may help treat it. There's a few threads in the brackish section that say treating ich in brackish tanks is often just a matter of raising or lowering the salinity a couple notches.

Hopefully you've reviewed your information on ammonia toxicity since your posts the other day and will take even a trace reading seriously.

Most likely whitespot, but no brackish water may be a contributing factor. Mollies seem to be more prone to stress in fresh water (especially if it's not hard alkaline water), so if water quality dips even a trace, if they're injured or bullied, they're often one of the first to show it. Stress weakens fish, and makes them more susceptible to diseases that they would usually shrug off, like whitespot. In my experience, mollies always seem to show stress by promptly getting ich.

If the fish is alone, or you can isolate it, making the tank brackish, even temporarily, may help treat it. There's a few threads in the brackish section that say treating ich in brackish tanks is often just a matter of raising or lowering the salinity a couple notches.

Hopefully you've reviewed your information on ammonia toxicity since your posts the other day and will take even a trace reading seriously.
I hope it's not ich becuase of the fry etc, if it developes further i'll use whitespot treatment, do you have any idea what ich/the med would do to fry?
btw one of the mollies dropped about 30 fry, waiting for the other to drop

Treatment is always tough with fry. Personally, I found that treating a tank with just about any med tends to kill the bulk of fry, possibly because it does lower oxygen levels and some of them do a slight knock to water quality. If you have a male molly around, though, it's only a matter of time before you have another batch, and another, and a few thousand more from there, so a lost drop isn't a disaster in the long run.

i have no male molly, think they'll make themselves pregnant from stored sperm? lol @ my angel, he sure does want to eat those fry

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back