My Marine Adventure

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Everything still running smooth and the water levels are pretty good. My Nitrates are still 20ppm and i cant seem to get them down.

I am seriously thinking now about keeping this tank but trying to sump it.

I have my old tank ready to be made into a sump. I then need to figure out what to do with the tank, I heard some people remove the back chambers and drill the back of the tank and sump it this way. I am not 100% sure what to do. I have done loads of research about sumps and stuff and it seems the way to go. I want to look at adding a coral or two and see how they go.

i tested for ph and nitrates as they are both slightly off, Nitrates more than ph tbh and yes there both fine.

I have been doing probably 30% water changes too but the nitrates do not seem to move. I have been leaving the food flap on the lid open the last few days as someone told me it will help letting oxygen into the top of the tank.

I have been speaking with someone about sumping my tank, And its going to be a lot of work for what it is, And as i am not 100% happy with it he is sure i will upgrade my tank in a few months time if i am feeling this way now.

I am building myself a stand and have found a plain 200 litre glass tank i am interested in. If i can get it i will make the stand and get the tank looking nice and move things over. Thats a little way off yet though and i will be sticking with this tank until its all sorted IF that is the way i go.

I want a longer tank instead of a small width and higher tank.

What do you mean by slightly off? The nitrates of the new water should be zero. Note that when adding water with 0ppm of nitrates; the nitrates of the tank will be lowered by the same percentage as the percentage of water you change. EX: if you change 25% of water and your nitrates are at 100ppm, they will then be at 75ppm. If you did 2 25% changes and your original nitrates were at 100ppm your first 25% change would put you at 75ppm nitrates and the second 25% change would put you at 56.25ppm. finalNO3= tankppm-(%change * tankppm) These calculation assume you are adding water with 0ppm nitrates. I'm still trying to figure out the math if the water you are adding isn't 0ppm.

I would be more than happy to walk you through sumping your tank the way I did mine. Not a ton of work, just a matter of measuring, cutting and gluing pvc.

Well the Nitrates from the mixed water from the shop are 0ppm, Sorry i wasnt clear about that.

And i have always done my test on the tank just before i change the water, So i am guessing after i change the water the Nitrates go down and then when i check again through the week there back up.

Right i have a plan of action in my head now. I am building my own stand for my tank, With that i am looking at a new tank ( i will pm you with it Greg see if i can get a little help with it) I have cleaned my old tank up and its ready to make into a sump. I just need to figure out what im doing with it.

My starfish on a night out

20130118_193714_zps771edda2.jpg

And a new coral i bought. Can someone help me with what it is please lol. I just see it in my lfs for 7 pounds so grabbed it.

20130119_190159_zps316e604d.jpg

Looks like a palythoa to be honest. Just remember, like zoanthids; they are quite toxic (see palyotoxin). Sort of looks like a Goniopora, but I highly doubt it.
Edit: always handle with gloves and when you frag always wear face protection (ie a face shield), rubber gloves and an apron.

What type of star is that? Remember that 90% of them are predatory. Most of them should take clam meat.

OK Greg that dont sound too good lol. To be honest the guy in the lfs just picked the coral up with his hands and placed it in the bag. I did exact the same to put it in the tank, After i had a drip on it in the bag for a hour and half. I touched the little bit of rock it was on most of the time but my hands did brush it now and again.

Do i need to feed this coral, It was one that i probably should not have bought and read up on first but as most people i couldnt help myself.

Also i dont know much about fragging. Will this coral grow onto the other rocks as its just sat there atm.

The starfish is a sand sifting starfish, Thats all i know. Had him in there for about 3 weeks now maybe 4 and i havent fed him specially just guessed he has been eating whats in the sand or the leftover food. What food should i get for him and the best way to feed him.

Thanks.

No you won't have to feed it. Sand sifting stars are predatory, they feed on worms and other sand dwelling fauna.

Dont do what this guy does. Don't smash the heads like that (smashed polyps release most of their toxin), don't let other people be around you with no protection, don't use that much glue (1/16th of a pea sized drop is all you need), don't leave them out of water like he does, and wear safty equipment #63###. A lady in the audience gets squirted, if it had gotten in her eye she could have easily gone blind or have serious complications.

is that the video you talk about in your post.

im going to be careful from now on.

Can they harm you just by putting your hand in the water or it only harm you if you touch it. I have bought some gloves to be sure.

Not looking forward to fragging it if it comes to it.

It's debatable but I say no. You should always wash your hands after going in the tank anyway.

Right few updates, I eventually found myself a new tank.

I have a few pics here but first is this pic of this crab a molt.

20130122_114237_zpsdee050f3.jpg

I have had a few of these in my tank and guessed they were a molt, Is this what they look like.

And here is the new tank i have purchased.

20130124_123144_zps9a69f48b.jpg

20130124_123157_zpsf67de6e3.jpg

This is the under hood and light. I am guessing this light is not good enough for what i will need it for.

20130124_123218_zps16f1e173.jpg

20130124_123239_zps425e2529.jpg

Without the hood, Which i might go for and remove the piece of glass in the middle.

20130124_123258_zpsfae39544.jpg

and this is what powers the lights.

20130124_123526_zpsaea9bccd.jpg

Thoughts please.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back