My Little Fluval Edge 6 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thrujenseyes

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I adore my little fluval edge and all of its tiny inhabitants (even though it's excellent looking design makes it a bear to clean and rearrange).

I've found keeping this tank is far more difficult than keeping a large one as every little thing ....well, is not so little.

I tried to upload a video but apparently it's too big :(

Attachments

• IMG_5335.JPG
    IMG_5335.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMG_6544.JPG
    IMG_6544.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 525
Perhaps try uploading the vid to youtube then posting the link here? Lovely tank and fish :)

I actually like those tanks, I was tempted a while back but ended up with a Fluval Chi with a single male Betta because everyone had said how hard it was to clean.

Now though I wonder if snails would do the job of getting in the hard to reach places? I think a school of CPDs would look amazing in one of those tanks, and your set-up looks great, how hard was it to get the wood/rock on place?

Did you change anything from how the tank arrived like filter, lights etc?

Thanks Ninjouzata and yes...good idea!  I will get to that a bit later.

Hi Rodders and yes a bear to clean but I actually think it's worth the troubles because it's such a clean and cool look.  I keep it pretty darn pristine although I do get that stinkin black algea on my plants and heater sometimes.  

I find it frustrating that I can't really have a oto cat (because they are more cozy in a school and I just don't have the room) and or a little bushy nose pleco ....although I'm aware neither eats that kind of algea (actually nothing does ...so I've read).  

My little Amano shrimp does an excellent job picking and salvaging along the bottom and on the leaves and rocks and wood.  He's super fun.  

Oh and what are "CPD's"?!  sorry.

Anyway, I added the heater (because it doesn't come with one...which is weird).  I got the fluval edge heater because it's streamline and fits and looks perfect.

I have not changed any of the lighting, although I have to wonder if I did ...would it help my black algea issues?

I also did not change the filter as it seems to do ok for the little load I have in there.  

It is absolutely crucial to do water changes once a week though as the slightest change in ammonia from food or whatnot can be catastrophic in such a little tank.

I can't even stir up the substrate when cleaning because it's just too much.  So I'm in the process of getting more plants to hopefully help keep the substrate from needing to be moved around.

The wood and rock were placed in carefully but I did not secure because I move around and take out to manually clean from time to time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  

And thanks for checking it out
smile.png

thrujenseyes said:
Oh and what are "CPD's"?!  sorry.

Anyway, I added the heater (because it doesn't come with one...which is weird).  I got the fluval edge heater because it's streamline and fits and looks perfect.

I have not changed any of the lighting, although I have to wonder if I did ...would it help my black algea issues?

I also did not change the filter as it seems to do ok for the little load I have in there.  

It is absolutely crucial to do water changes once a week though as the slightest change in ammonia from food or whatnot can be catastrophic in such a little tank.

The wood and rock were placed in carefully but I did not secure because I move around and take out to manually clean from time to time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  

And thanks for checking it out
smile.png

Sorry, the CPDs are Celestial Pearl Danio, or Galaxy Rasbora as some still call them. They are beautiful little fish, Latin name Celestichthys Margaritatus if you want to read up.

Danio-margaritatus-2-288x216.jpg

I do often wonder with the price of these "feature" tanks why they can't supply an appropriate heater, but hey it just means we have to spend more which is their goal after all haha
smile.png

I think the lighting looks ok, that's why I was asking as normally the inbuilt light can be dull.....although saying that the light on the new version of the Chi that I had was quite good. Same with the filter, for the size they do the job as long as water changes are done often.

I think the layout of the wood and rock is brilliant, it makes the tank look natural.

As far as the algae, I'm not sure what can be done about the black....isn't it down to phoshpates that type? Someone else probably knows on here.

Ohhhh yes Rodders, I loooove those little fish!!  But can not find them here (south Jersey).  Such a bummer!  I read up on them while deciding on my little tank...they sound perfect.

The lighting is great as in I can see everything wonderfully...I actually read they've improved it over the last couple of years.  I read complaints during the first few models.

Yeah the heater thing is a crapper but like you said "however they can get us to spend more".  ha

And thanks for the compliments!!  Makes me happy :)

Have you thought of ordering online, or searched for some non-chain store fish shops in your area?

I would not put CPD's in that little tank to be honest with you :/

I keep CPD's and they are fairly active little fish and really do benefit from being in larger shoals, at least 20+ otherwise they are very skittish and prone to crashing into the tank glass when spooked, thus causing injury....

Seriously fish suggests 10 gals US, and i do not fully agree with that either but thats my opinion, a 2.5 to 3 foot tank would be minimum tbh despite these fish being amongst the smallest specie to buy.

Celestial Pearl 'Danio'

Perhaps it may be worth looking at microrasboras to see if there is any suitable for your tank size and water parameters.

I had one of these 46 litre Edge tank, lovely design but as you say, a pain to clean, especially at the tank top corners :X

However, the little HOB filter is a good one and the LED light is ok, though did upgrade that but good for low tech plants. A neat little tank, but as long as you are aware of its shortcomings for maintenance and stocking options its pretty good overall.

Ninjouzata I've never ordered online since I had a great LFS (well about an hour away) but since they had a recent catastrophe with mercury poisoning and were shut down by the CDC (google the Aquarium Center in Clementon NJ for the full story) I'm stuck with just the chains like petsmart...  so I may have to look into online shopping.

Hi Ch4rlie...nice to see you again (I've been away quite a while)...
Great info on that adorable little fish and I will certainly take your advice and not add to my set up (not that I need any replacement fish as of now).  I have 5 healthy little endlers (knock wood), one amano shrimp and just added (today) a Nerite snail :)

Ninjouzata said:

Perhaps try uploading the vid to youtube then posting the link here? Lovely tank and fish
smile.png

https://youtu.be/bli4uL1rrww here you go!

Hmm the link isn't working for me

oh crapper....i'll try to figure out why when I get home. 

thrujenseyes said:
I adore my little fluval edge and all of its tiny inhabitants (even though it's excellent looking design makes it a bear to clean and rearrange).

I've found keeping this tank is far more difficult than keeping a large one as every little thing ....well, is not so little.

I tried to upload a video but apparently

Ninjouzata said:
Perhaps try uploading the vid to youtube then posting the link here? Lovely tank and fish
smile.png

I copied directly from you tube:
https://youtu.be/bli4uL1rrww

Neat little video, like it :nod:

These edge tanks do lend themselves to be very pleasing to the eye and done right like yours, is just lovely to watch :)

awww thanks so much ch4rlie!!  I really love it, even though the design makes it a challenge.  So glad I finally managed to get the video right!  I've sure made a mess out of this thread!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back