My Little Boy Is A Daddy!

minxfishy

Fish Maniac
Joined
May 1, 2008
Messages
8,492
Reaction score
0
Points
0
:shout:

In my sons tank (4 yrs old) he's just noticed tiny little baby fish, Im amazed and assuming they are platy babies :blink: As I cant think what else they could be, hes got some neons and 3 phantom tetras in there too, along with the platies.

In all the time ive kept fish, never once have I managed to see any baby fish, although not having had many livebearers I guess this isnt that unusual, eggs would have been eaten by larger fish in my tanks.

So we have two that I can see, hiding out in some java moss and plastic plants, lord knows what theyve been eating, but they have survived this far so I wont do anything special now and keep my fingers crossed they grow bigger to confirm what they are.

Hes chuffed to bits, bless him, now I just have to be careful when doing water changes I dont suck them up :rolleyes:
 
if they fit in their mommies mouth they will eat them (i think) you should move them to a solitary tank for them to mature safely.

and congratz! i have never gotten that far
 
Aw, congrats to the little guy! No matter what age you are, it's always exciting finding fry.
 
Well they seem to have grown to the point of not being eaten, even the neons arent taking any notice of them, so I will leave them where they are, I dont have breeding nets or another tank to put them in, unless I put them in with the corys and dwarf rainbows, who i think would make a nice snack of them, or I could put them in with my texas :lol: but dont think they would last 5 seconds.

He said something to me the other day about seeing something small in the tank, but to be honest I didnt take much notice (bad mummy) and I honestly dont take much notice of his tank, I clean it once a week thats about it, I could have hoovered up several without noticing before! He feeds them not me, so I dont look into the tank much.

Fingers crossed they make it as he wont be happy if they get eaten, they must be about 5-6mm, so I assume a couple of weeks old? I dont know much about the growth rate of livebearers, anyone help me out on how old they could be?
 
awww bless him, i can imagine how excited he is, and can totally get the " i dont bother with his tank" bit, i was the same, tho how much can you do eh? without taking it all away from them,
i hope they all grow up big and strong

:band: :- :kana: :cool: :friends: :flowers: congrats, little one :)
 
congrats hun and 2 ur son .... will have my fingers crossed for him :) hope they survive :)


jen
 
They're slow growers, IME. (With swordtails, for at least 2 months by now mine is still pretty small, just grew bigger, but not wider.)

:D Grats! I always save only three fry everytime my swordtails deliver. ): I always miss it cause of school. (knew i should have trapped her first!)

How large is your son's tank? I'll be jealous of it's larger than mine. :D


I have two fry (one is, two weeks and other one is two months) living with my crayfish. Poor pablo only likes his pellets and grapes, no live. ):

Anyways, tell your son I said congrats and good luck with his fry. :D
 

Most reactions

Back
Top