My Injured Finger

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

QuotheRaven

Something smells humany
Reaction score
These are pics of my finger today just before the stitches were removed... for those who missed the thread, i was cleaning some cover glass (very thick to) and I dropped it and it was falling towards my tank so I went to grab it/ hit it and it cut dow to the bone, cut the left digital artery, 4 stitches on the artery and 5 on the outside, it's been in a cast for 9 days. They say I was very lucky to keep my finger.

:shout: its very stiff and fragile and i cannot use my finger for some time

Attachments

• stitched1.JPG
    stitched1.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 64
  • stitched2.JPG
    stitched2.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 55
  • stitched3.JPG
    stitched3.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 63
  • stitched4.JPG
    stitched4.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 72
yeeesh..

**Note to self: Listen to warnings.

Cheers
Squid (not very good with blood and stuff)

hehe i did supply a warning...maybe a stronger warning?

No, you're fine.. i'm one of the many curious sqweemish (i know thats not a word, especially spelt like that). I know i shouldn't look, but just can't help it. It's like rubber necking on the internet. Not sure if you have that saying, but rubber-necking is where people drive past a crash on the motorway and just can't resist having a quick look, so you see everyones head's turn round then spin back to looking forward.

Squid

got ya, i've learnt better, i am curious but know it will affect me more negative than positive to look

Yeah that looks like it hurt.

I'll add that to my list of "Don't catch" items, along with carving knives knocked off counters, cat's falling from trees, that big icicle it's taken you ten minutes to hit off the eves with a baseball, and a few random other lessons I have learned.

And the moral of the story here is use acrylic covers on your tanks.

Finger injuries always hurt, i put a bow saw through my left forefinger and index finger last year when the blade jumped out of the branch i was lopping mid stroke and the rest of the stroke carried on through my flesh down to the bone, being the idiot i am i didnt go to hospital right away so by the time i admited that it wasnt going to stop bleeding it was too late for stitches and they had to glue it back together. Theres hardly a mark now but at the time it hurt like hell and i went a funny green/grey colour as i tried to not empty the contents of my stomach at the sight of my finger bones gleeming at me through the blood :lol:

And the moral of the story here is use acrylic covers on your tanks.

Finger injuries always hurt, i put a bow saw through my left forefinger and index finger last year when the blade jumped out of the branch i was lopping mid stroke and the rest of the stroke carried on through my flesh down to the bone, being the idiot i am i didnt go to hospital right away so by the time i admited that it wasnt going to stop bleeding it was too late for stitches and they had to glue it back together. Theres hardly a mark now but at the time it hurt like hell and i went a funny green/grey colour as i tried to not empty the contents of my stomach at the sight of my finger bones gleeming at me through the blood :lol:

What am i still doing here in this thread... barf..

I was bad enough with a little cut whilst cutting my Juwel Filter out. The blade snapped into my knuckle, but with water and blood mixed I soon got a little bit queeeezy, and and the missus was a little concerned over the carpet. (she's a nurse, they have no sympathy for the slightly wounded)..

But.. it was worth it just to ditch the Juwel filter for an eheim ;)

Squid the squeemish.

Thats a good cut :D

other than broken bones - they "best I did was stab myself in the hand using a precision screwdriver (the small sharp ones)..
that made me feel sick as I had trouble pulling it back out of the bone :sick:

My dad is a builder (and has been for 20 years) his hands are like leather and he no-longer has much feeling - except when he stops the blades of power saws with bits of his hands!!! I've seen a few cuts over the years that normal people would have taken one look at and off to the hospital you'd go - not dad - a bit of tissue and some electrical tape and he keeps working!...

Anyway... I hope nerve damage isn't a problem and all works out OK.

hey squid im a nurse and i have sympathy for the slightly wounded lol although i do hate anything to do with bones, dont , mind blood but the story about sawing through the bone made me feel queesy. actually thats a lie i do mind blood, only my own though, if i cut myself i often nearly pass out and my boyfriend has to deal with the blood for me but anyone elses im fine with, same with needles lol :rolleyes:

Actually, if we're swapping stories here.....I sawed through my finger in the hotel room when Dan and I were on holiday in Mexico. I was carelessly cutting up a tomato (with a ridiculously sharp kitchen knife) to eat with cheese and bread, since the food there oddly increased in price dependent on how nice your clothes looked.

I bet the doctors bill would have risen 1000% had I actually had to go get it stitched there. I was holding it closed saying it's ok, it'll stop bleeding in a minute, while wondering if we would actually make it back across the border to Laredo before I bled to death.

Poor Poor raven. I have been lucky enoguh not to severly injur my finger but i have had my own stories in the last 14 years.
Hitting myself in the head with a baseball bat( hurt very bad, and i passed out)
When i was aorund 6, went to a freinds, and went riding on a bike w/o shoes, dragged by foot on the road, took some meat of my pinky toe and i could see my bone( that hurt very very bad)
Getting a clay shovelers crack on my 7th vertabre, almost became paralyzed ( during football 3 years ago)
landing on my balls from jumping on a picnic table( i couldnt walk)
Falling down a flight of stairs head first, then hitting a brick wall with my head
Rding a bike, chain falls off, ride down a hill around 20 mph( went down a football fields length in about 1 and a half sec!), only to hit our laundry poles( for drying outside)
Also, had a 3 ingrown toenails removed( each a seprate surgury) on both my big toes!!!!!!! Total of 6 toe surgury's! the lst surgery for each toe was to permantly remove the coner part of my nail!!!!

Im sure there are several more that i cant think of at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To be 14 and have that many injuries!!!!! Im a walking accident!

Poor Poor raven. I have been lucky enoguh not to severly injur my finger but i have had my own stories in the last 14 years.
Hitting myself in the head with a baseball bat( hurt very bad, and i passed out)
When i was aorund 6, went to a freinds, and went riding on a bike w/o shoes, dragged by foot on the road, took some meat of my pinky toe and i could see my bone( that hurt very very bad)
Getting a clay shovelers crack on my 7th vertabre, almost became paralyzed ( during football 3 years ago)
landing on my balls from jumping on a picnic table( i couldnt walk)
Falling down a flight of stairs head first, then hitting a brick wall with my head
Rding a bike, chain falls off, ride down a hill around 20 mph( went down a football fields length in about 1 and a half sec!), only to hit our laundry poles( for drying outside)

Im sure there are several more that i cant think of at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To be 14 and have that many injuries!!!!! Im a walking accident!

You're a walking disaster! I haven't had it that bad, but, I fell down a bank when I was 6 twisted my arm, broke my collar bone. Fell down the stairs when I was 9, broke my collar bone again, same arm, same place. And, when I was about 1 or 2 my dad said that he closed the garage door on my thumb. Oh, and when I was about 1 my mum was reversing out of the drive she left me unstrapped in the back of the car with the door open, I fell out. :lol:

When the slideing bed on a machine I was using colapsed, it did so whilst my fingers where under a rather heavy bit of work. With a bang also came my foul temper and language. My middle finger balooned. I carried on and got the job done, in pain.
A couple of days later as it seemed to be ever more painful, I went to hospital. There, I discovered it was broken.
I couldn't use it for about a month.
So I can simpathise with you. How the finger can harness so much pain is beyond me.
Nice photographs by the way. Pitty you didn't get any before it was stitched up. Or even during!

When i was 3, i saw my dad doing some wood work with a chisel, so when he put down the chisel, naturally, i had a god. The only thing i cut was the web between my first finger and thumb. Went to hospital, got it stitched up, even got an I was brave certificate, then i met my mum who was lying down in the hospital bed cuz she passed out with the sight of my blood LOL.

Most reactions

trending

Back