my huma trigger died a day after i got him

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

friendtothefish

Reaction score
I just dont get it, i have two tomato clowns , two striped damsels, and a puffer and i had the trigger. i got the trigger and the puffer the same day. all my other fish are fine and i dont know why he died. i was laying on the botttom and then looking like hes suffocating, please someone help me learn why he died....

..............jamie

the ammonia is at 0 but for somereason the nitrite is .3i think, the test color is orange???

i kinda understand the cycle and what i dont understand is why the other fish are fine?

I don't know about the puffer, but I know that clown fish and damsels are hardy, so they can take more of a beating.
It's verry unwise to add fish untill the cycle is COMPLEATLY finished. saltwater fish are very sensitive.

No way we can know without a good deal more information on your setup. How large, how long, etc, etc.

sorry im new at this.....this is my first tank and it is a 29 gallon eclipse setup, i have a lee protein skimmer and a marineland heater. i also have in the tank a nudibranch, a brittlestar, and some hermits, oh yea and some snails. my tank has been set up for about a month and a half and i was pretty sure it was cycled, but now i dont know,

thanks for the help jamie

I'm going to be frank. a 29 is WAY way to small to keep ANY of those fish, let alone all of them. no matter what.

the nudibranch most likely killed it and will most likely kill your other fish. they release poisen when stressed or die.

1st I agree with frank, to many fish to small tank. 2nd Go slow. Even if the nudibranch didn't kill the trig you have stocked alot of fish for a month and a half. Even after a tank has cycled the adition of new live stock will still cause amonia spikes as the system adapts to the new load. If your Lfs told you it was ok to stock this fast and with that many fish stop going to them they are just out to make a $ and not concerned about you or your pets. If It was just amistake on your part, LEARN or you will just kill more fish. Good luck. ;)

I agree with frank as well. If you want to keep all of those fish together, you will need a tank much larger than only 29 gallons. Also, if you have added all of those fish in only a month and a half and no change has occured in your ammonia, you may want to try checking your test kit or getting a new one. Also, trust no one. Buy a book and read up on your situation before doing anything rash.

all the fish but the puffer are really small and have very little as to decorations. it seems like my tank is really empty. jeese i have heard soooo many things now. HELP!!!

Buy live rock for decoration. This will help with filtration and looks good. As for the small fish, they grow. :) You have had the tank for a month and half it isn't supposed to look good yet. Slowly build it so that in 6 months you have a nice tank and in a year you have your dream tank. Just be patient and fewer bad things will happen.

how big was your humu befor it died, 1 or 2 inch's? did you know they grow 9 inch's long and are almost 5 and 1/2 inch's tall? fish grow, a lot.
when I bought my pearl gouramis, they were about 1 and a half inch's long, now, about 2 months later, the male is over 3 inch's long! it doubled its size in only two months!
You absolutly MUST research the fish you intend to keep before you even think about buying it. also, don't trust everything your LFS tells you.

so now one of my fish has ich"the puffer" and i dont know what to do???? the store told me lots of different options and i am sooooo lost? i was told to buy this medicine but the medicine will kill my inverts and my live rock, and i spent like 60$ on all that, so i kinda dont want to medicate. so then the next option was to quarintine it in asmaller tank which i dont have and would cost 60$, and if i do this there is still a chance of the others in the main tank getting ich. so my next option is to kill the puffer and hope the tank is ok, none of these options sound good to me, is there anything else i can do please help

I'm still fairly new to Marine tank set ups. But I have heard alot of talk about fresh water baths to help with ick. I have not tried this as I have not had ick yet, but do some more research and chat with people to find out more about it. Also if your tank was not so crowded you could stock Cleaner shrimp or a cleaner wrass. I don't recomend the wrass right now at all you have to many fish. The shrimp maybe? Wait and see what somone else has to say. You can get some good advice here and would do well to follow it. Sorry about the trig and puff :-( good luck.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back