my huma trigger died a day after i got him

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Try a looking up a freshwater dip on the internet, I'm not sure how to do this so look it up on the internet. do you have a skimmer and a RO unit?
also, you NEED to buy a bigger aquarium as soon as possable, a 29 gallon is way to small. try to see if you can get your petstore to hold the fis in one of there bigger display tanks for the time being.

gman: i dont think i have too many fish and no one else has ever said that to me even the pro that does my parents 250 gal at their office. i dont get it my fish are all tiny, the damsels arent even an inch and the puffer is a baby?????

sorry but i would have to agree that your tank is to small for all those fish. they may be small now but will grow fast if taken care of. and you should have lots of live rock at least 1lb per gallon. more is better. you need the live rock for the bactera to grow on so it can take out the sutff that is harmfull to your fish. I have a saltwater set up and have done well so far i have a 125gl now and had a 55gl.
you should have just had the damsels in you tank for the first month or so. they are hardy fish and can handle not so perfect water conditons. there is no way that you tank has matured enough in a month for all those fish. saltwater fish are so prety but very expensive. When it comes to saltwater bigger is better and easier.
i personaly dont think it is a good idea to have a marine tank under 55gl.

I also agree with the size of your tank being too small for that amount and kind of fish. Larger tanks offer a small degree of cushion with regard to water condition. Accidental over feeding, death in the tank, whatever, will all have a much larger impact within a smaller system. More water, more dilution of whatever the problem is. Not to say that you don't need to jump on problems in a large tank swiftly, you do, but it's less of a impact than in a small system.

Triggers need plenty of room to swim and to grow into. Not only that, but by putting a Rhinecanthus aculeatus (Huma Huma/Picasso) in this tank, you have kind of invited him to sit at a "buffet" of sorts. :rolleyes: Triggers (most) will make a snack of your damsels and other small fish when they attain the size to do so. When they are small they may take little "nips" from other tank inhabitants. Triggers are wonderful, I adore them, but not with small fishes (anemonefishes, grammas, small wrasses and such). You are possibly putting your smaller inhabitants in harms way by mixing these fish. So sorry your trigger friend died.

Fish compatability is something to think about. B)

Good luck healing up the puffer.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back