My Fishroom Make-Over

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OK!!!!... with the grouting etc completed inside the fishroom... I am now starting work on the stands... There are 4 of them.... here are some changes done to the first one... extra support welded on.. and repainted...

Before...

And... to where I got today....(not completed though)

Looking nice. :)
Will they be strong enough to support in excess of 500kgs?

TallTree01 said:
Looking nice.
smile.png

Will they be strong enough to support in excess of 500kgs?

lol.... This specific stand has been in use since 1974/5...... I am merely refurbishing it.... (first refurbishment in almost 40 years).... I have 4 stands to do, of which the oldest one was acquired in 1972.....

Ah ok. I thought it was a new one. Doesn't look structurally able to me. :dunno:
They'll hold though I'm sure.

That's the scary thing with metal. We're used to working in wood, but square section steel has an enormous structural capacity in compression and in tension, problem is that it rusts if you don't look after it well, particularly as we tend to insist on leaving it in close proximity to lots of warm water. The electricity thing can get interesting as well with metal frames.

That sounded very technical, I wish I could understand DIY stuff!
Looks good though! 
yes.gif

Basically means that it's stronger than it looks, but has an annoying tendency to rust if you don't keep it well painted and to electrocute you if you don't take care with the electrics. I'm sure LV will have similar experiences to me with the occasional zap from old school kit that wasn't really as well sealed as the modern stuff.

DrRob said:
. I'm sure LV will have similar experiences to me with the occasional zap from old school kit that wasn't really as well sealed as the modern stuff.

lol... I've had my fair share of Zaps Rob..... to the extent that I think I am now totally immune (maybe addicted) to electrical shock.....

Here is the before & after of the second stand of 4.... (this stand was also made somewhere around 1975/6 and is also a first refurbishment for it in almost 40 years)

Before:

After:

Great to see everything coming to life! :)

Brilliant work going on.

In fact I reckon this is quite enjoyable work to be doing,

Wish I had a similar project and am sure I'd very much enjoy doing something like this :) 

Keep up the good work!

Righteo.... now starts the nitty gritties.... literally ...... the scrubbing of the tanks..... 20 done.... 20 to go.... lots of elbow grease to get the calcium off... a full 9 hours to do the first 20 tanks....

Wow - I think you deserve a beer after all that! 

I have always used a weak solution of muriatic acid to remove the calcium deposits. First time though the tank is filled with the acid and water nd let to sit 20 minutes or so then drained and rinsed. This tends to get most of the deposits. The few remaining stubborn ones I use a razor blade on. If they don't budge then I use stronger acid  solution but use a cloth soaked in it and then held against the spot for a bit. This usually loosens it for the razor. I do wear rubber gloves when doing that last bit.

You can actually reuse the acid solution from the first fill in other tanks. Simply empty it from one into the next and add a bit more acid when needed if it loses strength. Bear in mind it doesn't take much acid to do the job and you need to pay attention because it does burn.

Suddenly... now that I move the stands back in.... the space seems limited...... I have moved 3 of the 4 stands back in.... Still one to collect that has to go against the wall behind me.... I will start putting the tanks in the stands on Friday.... after connecting the wall mounted heater.....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back