My fish keep dieing

75gallon

Reaction score
My fish keep dieing in my 250 litter aquarium, it started off as cotton mouth, on one of my sword tails, then my guppys had white fungus on there body, I have been treating this tank for over 2 months now an nothing is working, water conditions are perfect, pics of 2 guppys that have it today
Nothing seems to be getting rid of it.

List of medications I have used over the past 8 weeks
Parist
King british fin rot @ fungus control
King british methylene blue
NTlabs anti-parasite
Api aquarium salt

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_135346.jpg
    IMG_20211121_135346.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20211121_135640.jpg
    IMG_20211121_135640.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20211121_135443.jpg
    IMG_20211121_135443.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 64
They have a bacterial infection and need anti-biotics, which will be hard to get in the UK.

You could try salt in conjunction with Myxazin or some other broad spectrum medication but you need a lot of salt (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water for 3-4 weeks) but it might not work.

Guppies and swordtails will be fine with this level of salt but tetras, barbs, danios, etc won't like it.

The fish in the picture will probably die in the next 24 hours so try salt and see what happens.

First of all can you give your water chemistry test results since there is really no such thing as perfect in fishkeeping....especially when faced with unexplained fish deaths

What is the size of your aquarium

How long has it been running

Water chemistry has nothing to do with the guppies dying. They have a common bacterial infection found on guppies in most pet shops.

Water chemistry has nothing to do with the guppies dying. They have a common bacterial infection found on guppies in most pet shops.
Sorry but water chemistry CAN and DOES have an effect on fish health. Bad water can make fish more prone to picking up illness or disease. As stated the issues in this aquarium began with Swordtails...the Guppies having issues followed.

So one's water chemistry is essential in order to rule it out of the equation @Colin_T along with aquarium size, stocking and length of time that the aquarium is running as ALL will have an impact on the health, welfare and disease/illness proactivity.

Water chemistry has nothing to do with the guppies dying.
You don't know that.
They have a common bacterial infection found on guppies in most pet shops.
'Most' of my local pet shops do not have a bacterial infection issue amongst ANY fish.
It would be foolhardy to prescribe even common Aquarium Salt without knowing the condition of the water you're putting salt into...and I see that salt has already been added.

I have been treating this tank for over 2 months now an nothing is working, water conditions are perfect,

If your water conditions were 'perfect', then your fish would not be dying.
NOTE that simply throwing everything into the tank without knowing EXACTLY what it is you're treating will compound any issues present.

What else is in the tank, besides guppies and swordtails?

My tank is 150lt
Tank mates
6 Cory dora
10 Cardinal tetra
11 Guppys
2 Swordtail
4 danio
2 platy's
2 algae eaters
Tank has been running for about 6 months.
Everything was fine until I got the sword tails,

PH 7.4
Ammonia 0.ppm
Nitrite 0.ppm
Nitrate 0.ppm

Canister filter
Upgraded filter media with biohome ultimate, ( no carbon)

Is your source water chlorinated?...do you use a water conditioner to treat your tap water?

What kind of test kit are you using?

Reason for multiple medication,
Sword tails not only had cotton mouth but also had clear stringy poop, hence the anti-parasite

Is this the tank in your avatar? Is it planted?

If the fish deaths began after adding the STs, then maybe they came with some sort of disease...best to know what that disease is, before randomly throwing meds into the tank, as mentioned above

What kind of "algae eaters" are in the tank?...how often, and how much water changes do you perform?

No that's my other tank in my avatar, I have 2 java fern, and java moss in the tank, with 4 moss balls
Siamese algae eater
Also got 1 octocinclus that came attached to the java fern by mistake,
Water change is done once a week 25 percent

Fresh, clean water is key for fish health, try doing larger WC's weekly, 50% or so.

As far as any disease, @Colin_T is the one to offer the best help...I don't have much experience with fish disease, luckily

Most reactions

Back