My fish just gave birth - what should I expect?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

SwanseaGuppies

Reaction score
Last Saturday, I got my first fish (platies). It turns out that the blue mickey mouse platy was pregnant and has now given birth. The other platies are twin bar and are smaller, but Iā€™m sure could still eat the fry. I have lots of plants and dragon stone and I have seen some of the fry hiding in the tiny holes in the stone, which should hopefully protect them a bit.
Anyway, could you let me know what to expect? Is it likely that some will survive? I have managed to catch one in a net, so it seems like one should have a good chance, and I could try and get a breeder net, but I think it will be impossible to catch the rest. I managed to get a nursery tank from a local pet shop, but itā€™s definitely designed for larger fish as the holes are small enough for fry to swim through so not massively useful, but I could try lining it with a net in the future.
Iā€™d like for some of them to survive, but I know this time, they might not.
Anyway, have you got any insight or advice for me? How do I feed the fry? Just want to know what to expect really and if thereā€™s anything I can do to help the situation or to have more survivors next time?
Than you for all your help

FB1B72F1-3F11-4A0C-B483-BB173B622630.jpeg

Welcome to the hobby and congrats on being a successful fish breeder already! :D Yep, livebearer females are often already gravid when you get them, you're not alone! I really like the look of the tank so far, the wood, dragonstone, substrate and plants look great!

Just some quick questions since these are your first fish - do you know about the nitrogen cycle and have you cycled your tank? Do you have a water testing kit?

As to your question about fry, it's very likely that at least a couple will survive. But there are things you can do to increase the odds! More plants is the key to having lots of babies survive - enough that you'll soon have more fish than you know what to do with, and you regret ever getting livebearers... :lol: ;) (Kidding! Kinda)
DSCF3646.JPG
DSCF6212.JPG
DSCF4115.JPG
DSCF3747.JPG

Out of all the platy varieties, the blues are my favourite! Such stunning colours, and a variety of blue speckling. These ones are the lighter blue ones from my original (huge) female in the first pic, but after some generations I have a gorgeous male that has really dark speckling all over in a really pretty pattern. Need to get some photos of him, but he's also super shy and hides away in the plants.

You can definitely raise the fry in the tank with adults, without worrying about breeder nets or boxes. Personally, I think those do more harm than good. Adults will pick off weak, slow, ill fry more easily, so the healthier fry that can dash to a hiding place tend to survive. Well fed adults are also less inclined to put in the effort to hunt down down fry; but overfeeding should also be avoided of course. It's all about balance.

The bottom of your tank does provide some hiding spots, but the middle and top sections of the tank are wide open. That's not so good. Consider that livebearer fry in the wild are born in rivers, and fry instinctively head for the shallower edges of the river when they're born, because the middle, deeper part of the rivers is where the predators and adults are. They head for the surface and the rivers edge to hide among the vegetation/roots/rocks etc, only venturing away from this "nursery" as they get bigger. So newly born livebearer fry in our tanks also tend to head to the surface (and some down to hide at the bottom, but that's less common in my experience). Having floating plants up there gives them safety and security, and a really dense bunch of something like elodea or guppy grass is ideal. Any fast growing stem plants that can grow while floating at the surface will work. The more dense the bunches of plant, the easier it is for fry to escape an adult fish, which can't navigate through the plant as easily as the fry.

To show you what I mean;
I used to raise platy and guppy fry in this tank, and I always recommend planting that covers the entire height of the tank in at least one area, if you want most of the fry to make it. That thick, bushy plant on the left is limnophilia sessiliflora. Easy and fast growing, it'll reach the surface and keep going. Can trim the tops off and replant them, making a really dense thicket of plant that provides hiding spots for the entire height of the tank so that no matter where a fry is, it can quickly escape a hungry adult! A thicket of dense plant like this can be created with most any fast growing stem plant, and the fry born in here could always be found hiding in there, or among the roots of the frogbit at the surface.

By the time fry are about 3 weeks old, they'll be big enough that the adults won't eat them. :)
DSCF3605.JPG

As for feeding, they'll be just fine on the same food as the adults. If you're using a flake food, crush it so it's more fine and easier for tiny mouths to manage. They'll be fine if you feed them once or twice a day, but fry tend to do better when fed little and often. Small amounts of food given 3-4 times a day worked for me, when possible, but it's not essential to feed that often, and it's all too easy to overfeed.

Increase water changes when you have growing fry, since more fish and more food means more waste in the tank.

If you feed small foods that tend to hang in the water column for a while, you can feed the adults at the opposite end of the tank from the 'nursery' plants where the plants are hiding, then target feed some finely crushed small flake or other food in among the plant for the fry. Then they don't even need to come out of hiding to eat! ;)

Bug Bites is a great, healthy food, and the smallest size (light blue tub, microgranules) are relished by adults and fry, and tends to sink slowly, giving them a chance to eat at the surface and in the middle of the water column. Foods like daphnia, cyclops and baby brine shrimp form a cloud in the water column, giving every fish a chance to eat without fry having to venture too close to the adults. :)

Please do keep us updated, and feel free to ask for any clarification, or any other questions you have. :):hi:

:blush:

I talk too much! Sorry guys...

:blush::fish:
Nooooo. Keep it up. You get there in the endā€¦well you actually get there three or four times!
Im just glad Iā€™ve got different water to you because Iā€™d be dashing out to the LFS spending money after reading your threads if I didnā€™t. Your enthusiasm for all your different fish and tanks is heartwarming to read. Donā€™t curb it.

Welcome to the hobby and congrats on being a successful fish breeder already! :D Yep, livebearer females are often already gravid when you get them, you're not alone! I really like the look of the tank so far, the wood, dragonstone, substrate and plants look great!

Just some quick questions since these are your first fish - do you know about the nitrogen cycle and have you cycled your tank? Do you have a water testing kit?

As to your question about fry, it's very likely that at least a couple will survive. But there are things you can do to increase the odds! More plants is the key to having lots of babies survive - enough that you'll soon have more fish than you know what to do with, and you regret ever getting livebearers... :lol: ;) (Kidding! Kinda)
View attachment 142665View attachment 142667View attachment 142669View attachment 142670

Out of all the platy varieties, the blues are my favourite! Such stunning colours, and a variety of blue speckling. These ones are the lighter blue ones from my original (huge) female in the first pic, but after some generations I have a gorgeous male that has really dark speckling all over in a really pretty pattern. Need to get some photos of him, but he's also super shy and hides away in the plants.

You can definitely raise the fry in the tank with adults, without worrying about breeder nets or boxes. Personally, I think those do more harm than good. Adults will pick off weak, slow, ill fry more easily, so the healthier fry that can dash to a hiding place tend to survive. Well fed adults are also less inclined to put in the effort to hunt down down fry; but overfeeding should also be avoided of course. It's all about balance.

The bottom of your tank does provide some hiding spots, but the middle and top sections of the tank are wide open. That's not so good. Consider that livebearer fry in the wild are born in rivers, and fry instinctively head for the shallower edges of the river when they're born, because the middle, deeper part of the rivers is where the predators and adults are. They head for the surface and the rivers edge to hide among the vegetation/roots/rocks etc, only venturing away from this "nursery" as they get bigger. So newly born livebearer fry in our tanks also tend to head to the surface (and some down to hide at the bottom, but that's less common in my experience). Having floating plants up there gives them safety and security, and a really dense bunch of something like elodea or guppy grass is ideal. Any fast growing stem plants that can grow while floating at the surface will work. The more dense the bunches of plant, the easier it is for fry to escape an adult fish, which can't navigate through the plant as easily as the fry.

To show you what I mean;
I used to raise platy and guppy fry in this tank, and I always recommend planting that covers the entire height of the tank in at least one area, if you want most of the fry to make it. That thick, bushy plant on the left is limnophilia sessiliflora. Easy and fast growing, it'll reach the surface and keep going. Can trim the tops off and replant them, making a really dense thicket of plant that provides hiding spots for the entire height of the tank so that no matter where a fry is, it can quickly escape a hungry adult! A thicket of dense plant like this can be created with most any fast growing stem plant, and the fry born in here could always be found hiding in there, or among the roots of the frogbit at the surface.

By the time fry are about 3 weeks old, they'll be big enough that the adults won't eat them. :)
View attachment 142668

As for feeding, they'll be just fine on the same food as the adults. If you're using a flake food, crush it so it's more fine and easier for tiny mouths to manage. They'll be fine if you feed them once or twice a day, but fry tend to do better when fed little and often. Small amounts of food given 3-4 times a day worked for me, when possible, but it's not essential to feed that often, and it's all too easy to overfeed.

Increase water changes when you have growing fry, since more fish and more food means more waste in the tank.

If you feed small foods that tend to hang in the water column for a while, you can feed the adults at the opposite end of the tank from the 'nursery' plants where the plants are hiding, then target feed some finely crushed small flake or other food in among the plant for the fry. Then they don't even need to come out of hiding to eat! ;)

Bug Bites is a great, healthy food, and the smallest size (light blue tub, microgranules) are relished by adults and fry, and tends to sink slowly, giving them a chance to eat at the surface and in the middle of the water column. Foods like daphnia, cyclops and baby brine shrimp form a cloud in the water column, giving every fish a chance to eat without fry having to venture too close to the adults. :)

Please do keep us updated, and feel free to ask for any clarification, or any other questions you have. :):hi:
Wow! Thank you for such a detailed reply. It's really helpful.

Some lovely person on here told me all about cycling the tank a few weeks ago, so it's all good. I do have a water testing kit too, but it's a good reminder to test the water again. Thanks.

Thank you also for your recommendations on more plants. I had thought it looked a bit bare at the top so that's definitely something I'll look into.
Thank you for all your other advice too. It's really really helpful.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back