Video My fish is sick, how can I help him?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
what do you mean? I have no idea, I just pour tap water after it being left 1 day or so to get the room temp
Make sure you are using a water conditioner to make the water safe for your fish. Using tap water can contain chlorine which is not good for your fish. I use Api stress coat water conditioner and it works great.

Try not to get angry with yourself over this.

You have been given very bad advice from the shop and believe me you are not the first to be given bad advice like this and I doubt you will be the last to come to this forum in a similar situation

You are going to have to euthanise the sick fish which is never pleasant to do but its really the best thing to do in this circumstance

All of us here have, at one time, been given poor advice or had unsuitable fish or experienced issues, try not to kick yourself, it happens sometimes but now you are aware that a problem exists we can help you get it sorted

I'm afraid goldfish need huge tanks. A 200 litre tank - that's 10 times bigger than the one you have now, would be OK for 3 fancy goldfish but yours are common goldfish which really belong in a pond.
I know you don't want to hear this, but the best thing for the fish would be to rehome them with someone who has a pond.

I'm afraid goldfish need huge tanks. A 200 litre tank - that's 10 times bigger than the one you have now, would be OK for 3 fancy goldfish but yours are common goldfish which really belong in a pond.
I know you don't want to hear this, but the best thing for the fish would be to rehome them with someone who has a pond.
Totally agreed.
In that sized tank, only 10 cherry shrimp and 1 nerite snail, if water is hard, can fit.

There are 4 fishes there, 2 gold, one white and the small one (that's sick). The two gold fishes have been there for 2 years. Around 1 month go I got the other 2 (the white and the small). Never had any problem, this is the first time something is happening. The tank is around 31cm x 26cm, and 26 cm tall. It has a small filter that runs 24/7. I talked to the guy who sold them to me, he said it's kind of "paralysis" that happened rarely. He said that it happened on my shop tank too and there's nothing you can do but just leave it. He said the fish is not suffering , and it will continue to eat normally . Any suggestions ?
I’m so sorry that your LFS employee led you to believe this was “normal” and that the fish were ok in the tank you have. I agree with everyone here, you will unfortunately need to euthanize the fish that is sick, and rehome the others to someone with an outdoor pond.
If you still want to keep fish, I recommend you use this forum and research what type of fish you might want that would fit your water hardness and pH. You can find this information on your water companies website. Once you have some options, post here again and people can help you figure out how big of a tank you will need and what type of equipment to use that would be best for your fish.
Unfortunately, most pet/fish store owners and employees are only looking to make a sale, and not for the best options for the fish. We have a rule that any information you get from an employee should always be taken with a grain of salt, and always do your own research. I hope this experience hasn’t turned you off of fish keeping, it can be an amazing process and a relaxing hobby once you know the basics. I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do 🥰

They are probably suffering with multiple issues all due to the tank size... The tank is most likely not cycled and ammonia builds up most likely... Some aquarists do set out water to prepare it but it is best to know whats in your water before doing that... It may remove chorines but not choromines which is a mix of chorine and ammonia... The ammonia is left behind and then can poison the fish... I agree with others that you should rehome the fish... I am so sorry that a LPS employee told you those things... Theu care about making sales MOST of the time...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back