My Fish Choice - Advise If Compatible

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

you will pick up a good external filter on ebay second hand for under £50. then you can up your numbers a little

Yeah, I have an external filter which is supposed to turn over 2000 l/h but we all know those figures are never accurate, I read somewhere for the one I have it really only does 1200/1300 l/h.

The tank also has a top filtration system (in the hood), the specs state that turns over 900l/h, again I would imagine that is probably 500/600 l/h. It has five trays and works with a spray bar. I'm not sure if I should get this up and running or just go and buy another external filter or a more powerful pump for it to work from. The hood does have very easy access for cleaning etc.

How often do you guys clean the sand in your tanks, I take it you would just do it similar to a gravel syphon cleaner?

Could use either the built in filtration system or buy another external, the more the better. So its entirely upto you. I run my hand threw the sand every time i do my weekly water changes. Stop's toxins building up in the sand and causing air pockets that could release into the tank and cause serious harm. The fish move the sand around a lot anyway, just make sure its not left for to long. :)

Could use either the built in filtration system or buy another external, the more the better. So its entirely upto you. I run my hand threw the sand every time i do my weekly water changes. Stop's toxins building up in the sand and causing air pockets that could release into the tank and cause serious harm. The fish move the sand around a lot anyway, just make sure its not left for to long. :)

Cool, I'm going to get the built in filtration system up and running tonight. Thanks for the info on the sand.

I've decided I'm going to go with an all Mbuna tank, probably best for a beginner, I can always change it around whenever I want. I'll get a list of Mbunas up and ask if they are compatible with each other.

Probably go for 4 species, each having 1m:3f ratio.

Do I really need more rock? Looks loads to me..

Will that open space get used on the left and at the top?

Cool, I'm going to get the built in filtration system up and running tonight. Thanks for the info on the sand.

I've decided I'm going to go with an all Mbuna tank, probably best for a beginner, I can always change it around whenever I want. I'll get a list of Mbunas up and ask if they are compatible with each other.

Ok no worries get a list of mbuna together and im sure we will be able to get a good stock list together. You have got quite a lot of rock stacked up so maybe spread it along the full length of your tank? The mbuna will tend to stay near the rock and will only go near the surface if you go near the tank or feed them. So the height of the rock isn't really important but the footprint is, so try spread it about a little see if you can get it how you like it.

Listen to Malawi Mad, He helped me get my Mbuna list going. Unfortunatly I am at a standstill when it comes to stock. Dang expensive cichlids....

Ok no worries get a list of mbuna together and im sure we will be able to get a good stock list together. You have got quite a lot of rock stacked up so maybe spread it along the full length of your tank? The mbuna will tend to stay near the rock and will only go near the surface if you go near the tank or feed them. So the height of the rock isn't really important but the footprint is, so try spread it about a little see if you can get it how you like it.

Thanks, I'll re-arrange the rock when I do my big water change during the end of the fishless cycle. I may just keep the height and add more slate on the left.

Listen to Malawi Mad, He helped me get my Mbuna list going. Unfortunatly I am at a standstill when it comes to stock. Dang expensive cichlids....

Yeah, trying to get as much help off all of you. I'd rather the tank run smoothly without casualties. So easy just to go ahead and do things then rectify it afterwards by still having to ask on the forum.

Unfortunately I only have 3 mbuna in my 55g, but as worried as I was about aggression, they all get along well and swim happily with each other. I am hoping after the holidays to up the stocking in that tank. I am aslo going to rearrange the rocks in hopes of having a more even look. Oh and I am finally going to get backgrounds for my tanks. The white wall isnt the best backdrop lol

Right, managed to get the top filter system up and running, so now doing 2900l/h according to the manufacturer figures.

You get a spare spray bar and there is room to house another pump so could stick one of their 1800l/h in there is as well which would take it 4700l/h.

But I think I'll leave it as it is for now, mind you the pump is only £18. Something for the future!

Unfortunately I only have 3 mbuna in my 55g, but as worried as I was about aggression, they all get along well and swim happily with each other. I am hoping after the holidays to up the stocking in that tank. I am aslo going to rearrange the rocks in hopes of having a more even look. Oh and I am finally going to get backgrounds for my tanks. The white wall isnt the best backdrop lol

Look forward to some pictures once you sorted it all out Dieses.

Completely forgot i started this post, dummy went and posted this on another forum.

what do you guys think of this to start off with

4 x Labidochromis Caeruleus 
4 x Pseudotropheus Saulosi
4 x Cynotilapia Afra hara
4 x Melonochromis Maingano
2 x Bristlenose Plec

All available from Neil at northantmalawis

Also while im here my rock set up has about 2 inches of open space at the back of the tank, do you think i should push the rocks all the way to the back?

That should be a good mix. I put my rock against the glass, but its not necessary.

Numbers seem fine to me what's going to be your M to F ratio?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back