MY DWARF LIONFISH REFUSES TO EAT!!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

superman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I don't know why my 5 inch long dwarf lionfish (zebra lionfish) won't eat. I put in feeder fish of every size and he won't even glance at them, I've put freeze dried krill, parts of large shrimp, chopped up pieces of fish, even bloodworms (I was desperate) and I can't get him to eat. His tank mates are a 12 inch long snowflake moray eel, and a blue damsel. The blue damsel is a bit territorial, but do you think that the lionfish could be bothered so much by the blue damsel that he wouldn't eat? I have had the lionfish for 5 days now, and he looks healthy, but he just won't eat! I am really worried, when a fish of mine isn't doing well, I don't sleep or eat well, it makes me sick. Help!

Lionfish and family Scorpaenidae in general will not eat frozen or flake foods. But don't despair you can slowly wean them onto frozen, etc by feeding a mix of live and Frozen Foods, gradually increasing the amount of frozen food in the mix. It's hard, but lionfish are so beautiful it's worth the time and effort.

Did you read my post Xenity7? My lionfish won't eat ANYTHING AT ALL, not even live food. I think he MAY have something caught in his mouth, he keeps opening and shutting his mouth periodically, I am desperate at this point, I just don't know what to do at all. :-(

I have a dwarf lionfish in my reef. I find it hard to feed mine because I hardly see it in the day but it comes out at night. perhaps you could try feeding it at night if you havn't already, it may feel more comfertable. also do you have any live rock? if so, then there should be lots of little shrimps and copepods that it can fed on. If he is "yawning" then that could be a sighn of poor water quality so I would check it to be sure that thats not the problem although if the other fish are OK then its probably not the water.

I would not worry at this stage, they could go a couple of weeks without food (I think) it may just be settleing down in its new tank.

I have tested the water, everything is just fine, I have a bunch of live rock in the tank as well. I think that he may be just settling in, but I am still pretty worried. I will keep you guys posted as too what happens. Thanks for the info ste2k3. B)

My guess would be acclimation. If you got him from a dealer that turns around and sells them the day or two after they received their shipment, it is a lot of stress to the fish.

Most reactions

Back